A Storm is coming (1979 Mk1 Storm)

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Rich_Rocco
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: A Storm is coming (1979 Mk1 Storm)

Post by Rich_Rocco »

mark1gls wrote:I know when I finished mine a when around checking all the nuts, bolts and screws to check Id done the up, I'm still find a few bits of trim which come lose, either I forgot or they rattle lose. I did check, check and check again all the important bits, brakes, fuel line connections, water hose clips.............
Haha I know the feeling. I THINK ive got everything bolted on and tightened up properly now.
and the little pot of screws, nuts and bolts that ive been keeping in the glovebox only has a handful of rusty screws left in it which i think were from the storm chin spoiler so hopefully i'll be alright.
time will tell though :p

Grindon wrote:Well done Rich :vcool:

Let me know when you have got it through the MOT and I'll be round to collect it and bring her back home :hugegrin: :hugegrin:

Cheers,

Kevin
ps - an another thread someone said only the first few early Storms had the 4 speed box, I seem to remember 'ours' has a 4 speed box????
Cheers Kevin!
so close to actually driving it after 2 years haha
feel free to come and have a look any time. i'll be hiding the keys though :hehe:

yeah youre right on the gearbox mate. this one is a 4 speed so I'm guessing that the 5 speed boxes were an optional extra? could be wrong though.

all the best

If it's got tits or tyres it's trouble but I always go back for more.
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I've still got a couple of clips, couple of bolts and nuts left over from when I finished my car 3 years ago, I guess they was not important as still not found where they go!

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
litlekris

Post by litlekris »

[quote="Rich_Rocco]
yeah youre right on the gearbox mate. this one is a 4 speed so I'm guessing that the 5 speed boxes were an optional extra? could be wrong though.
[/quote]

are you keeping it as 4 speed box? just that you said earlier you were looking to swap it for 5 speed, but now you know your storm was one of the 1st 7 in the UK maybe you should keep it as is?

Rich_Rocco

Post by Rich_Rocco »

yeah kris i decided against the 5 speed box a while back. just seemed like an unecesarry modification. even moreso now that ive heard about it being one of the first.

Rich_Rocco

Post by Rich_Rocco »

well thats the paint and bodywork "finished"

got the decals on and I'm really happy with them
I also got dubmeister pressed metal plates and wolfsburg surrounds and installed a new aerial
the new radio is also plumbed in and the alarm/immobilizer will be in this week hopefully

last thing to do is change the cracked downpipe for the new one then i can get it mot'd

i made another attempt to get the downpipe nuts off myself,using a blowtorch this time and theyre really not coming off (managed to get one off) so i'm going to attempt to take the exhaust manifold off so ive got better access. ive already used the trusty angle grinder to cut the downpipe where it bends at the bottom so if i can get the exhaust manifold out i should be able to drop the whole lot out of the bottom of the engine bay.
my next day off is saturday so ive been soaking the nuts/bolts with releasing fluid over the last few days in the hope that it will do some good by saturday. if not then i'll have to get it trailered to a garage and pay someone to do it.

wish me luck.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Love it ! :vcool:

Its so anoying when you come across a rusty nut or bolt that you can't get off, don't forget to replace them all with new brass nuts so you won't get the same problem if you need to remove it again.

Membership No. 323
Rich_Rocco

Post by Rich_Rocco »

now for sale sadly :(

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Sad to hear this but at least you drove it as a daily and expect you enjoyed every minute of it. :pilot:
Good luck with the sale.

Membership No. 323
Rich_Rocco

Post by Rich_Rocco »

for sale again as i wimped out the last time :(

Rich_Rocco

Post by Rich_Rocco »

Now sold.

Sayonara Scirocco. It's been a blast.

Massive thanks to everyone on here that provided me with invaluable help and advice during this project.
And thanks to the site admins/owners for providing an excellent forum.

I might see you all again further down the road. til then, good luck with your projects!
Good karma and smooth tarmac to you all!
Rich

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Sayonara! Ha. I remember when my old man said: 'good bye Scirocco'. I was crammed in the back seat, as he drove it into a car dealers for a trade in - that was the start for me! Glad you found it a home Rich..

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Glad and sad it's sold after all the work you put in but at least you finished it and drove it.
Did you mention the Scirocco register to the new owner, perhaps they and the car will appear on here, you may be able to keep an eye on it?

Membership No. 323