Paul's 89 Mk2 GT2

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
pajsh
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Paul's 89 Mk2 GT2

Post by pajsh »

OK so this year I really want to get my rocco back on the road. I missed it's 25th birthday in 2014 and it's really bugging me it's now sat for so long. I've owned it since 1999, it came off the road in 2006 and I started this project in 2012 so it's 10 years since it (legally ;-)) turned a wheel.

Loads of stuff has got in the way but I've cleared the decks and as soon as the weather improves I'll be on it. I'm really going to try and make the Nats to help the Register hit the 100 mark but I've got a fair bit to do so will probably need some help in sourcing some stuff. Essentially the main thing I really have no idea on at the moment is the exhaust so if anyone can help that would be great. Will be towards the end that I need to sort it though. The rest I can probably deal with given time.

Left to do is (in some sort of order).

Complete brake lines
Fuel pump and wiring
Fit flywheel,clutch and gear box to engine
Drop engine in
Fit inlet manifold, Webers & throttle linkage
Fit radiator & cooling pipes
Source and fit ignition system, Megajolt or similar
Exhaust?
Fit seats & seatbelts
Final inspection & MOT

There will still be plenty of other stuff to do once it's on the road but that can wait.

I think it's going to be a tall order given the limited time but I'll do my best.

So hope to be around here a lot more in future (and also on the Facebook page).

Is that light at the end of the tunnel or a train coming the other way?

See my build thread here:- viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10466&start=75
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Welcome back and yes it is about time you finished it (took me 10 years from start to finish with my Mk1) :-)

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Did you get the welding done to the bulkhead?
I have the kit and can travel, it's not too far and could probably fit it in with a visit to a friend in Altrincham.
Let me know.

pajsh

Post by pajsh »

Village Idiots wrote:Did you get the welding done to the bulkhead?
I have the kit and can travel, it's not too far and could probably fit it in with a visit to a friend in Altrincham.
Let me know.
No I didn't actually and that's one thing that has held things back.

I have kind of accepted I'll have to put it all together then when I take it for MOT at my friendly garage, I was hoping he could do the welding then. The rear wheel arch is not a problem but I'm a bit concerned access might be an issue for the bulkhead. Anyway I made a plate that bolted through a while back so I intended to refit this as an interim measure. It'll work and is strong enough just doesn't look too pretty.

We're not that close to Altrincham (I work in Sale) it's about 45 mins on a good run, but if you are OK to do it that would certainly solve one of my worries. Am around most weekends either Sat or Sun.

Maybe you could PM me with an idea on what it might cost for a trip out and a couple of hours tinkering. I'll try and take some pics and post them here over the weekend.

Many thanks.

pajsh

Post by pajsh »

Picked a (fairly) dry moment to get the cover off and take a couple of pics.

First is the bulkhead, second is the rear wheel arch "holes" with brown tape and rust'eater to stop things getting worse.

Let me know if you think you can do something?

james butler

Post by james butler »

welding the boot area up would be the best solution but you could cut all the rust out paint it to seal it and then fibreglass over the hole.
the bulkhead went on my car many years ago so i made 2 plates for inside and outside the car which is still going strong and allows some flex.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Do you have a repair patch for the bulkhead clutch cable area?
The boot area would be best with the rust cut out, then we can cut some steel and weld it in. If you let me know sizes required, I can bring some steel.
Have sent you a PM.
Jem

pajsh

Post by pajsh »

Hi have sent pm ref Sunday. Below are pictures of the repair areas and the bracket I made that may be able to be re-used?? I'll try and get some more pictures with a tape measure on for reference. I cleaned up the inside and then painted the areas with Kurust to try and prevent any further rusting.

Hope this all make sense.

Holes in rear wheel arch.

Temporary repair plate.

Plate removed.

pajsh

Post by pajsh »

Can't seem to get the PM to go, don't know why just keeps going back to preview, so including it here:-

Yeah definitely if that's OK :-).

I was going to message you today or tomorrow to hope it was still on and ask if there is any prep I need to do or stuff I need to buy. I was keeping an eye on my inbox, but didn't notice you'd posted on the thread.

Obviously you've seen the pictures on line, so yes it's the bulkhead and the rear wheel arch (fuel filler bracket problem) that needs doing. I did buy a standard VW repair plate but not sure if I still have it, so I'll have a good hunt round. I fashioned a repair with an old bracket at the time that kept it on the road, but it's zinc plated and quite thick so may not be best for welding.

If I can find a picture I'll post it up. It maybe I can cut it down and grind the ZP off and then spray it up after.

Any time Sunday suits me so just let me know. I can sort a breakfast bap and brew too if you fancy. Weather is looking OK but I was going to pop a gazebo up if necessary as the car is outside.

It will really help me out and be a big push to getting the car back on the road for August :-).

Paul

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Paul,
Zinc coated plate will be fine, I'll just grind the zinc back from the edges to weld.
Have sent you an e-mail also.
Jem

DT1

Post by DT1 »

On the bulkhead, that small hole to the right (in your picture) is only for a vacuum hose, it doesn't need to be there and is one of the reasons that part of the bulkhead fails.

I would drill a new hole a couple of inches to the right and then weld up the old hole before finishing the repair.

pajsh

Post by pajsh »

DT1 wrote:On the bulkhead, that small hole to the right (in your picture) is only for a vacuum hose, it doesn't need to be there and is one of the reasons that part of the bulkhead fails.

I would drill a new hole a couple of inches to the right and then weld up the old hole before finishing the repair.
Thanks for that.

Looking at the picture, before I took my "repair plate" off there was a cable running through that hole which was a manual choke cable for the Weber (32/36 DFTL?) carb on the old EX engine. The new ABF is on 45's so will probably need a similar cable but I'll decide where this needs to be when I get to it. The accelerator cable may also change to a double cable with the twin 45's) although the original may still work, I'm not sure yet. The route from the pedal may mean it has to go through the old hole though.

Probably only the main "D" shaped clutch hole that needs to stay.

DT1

Post by DT1 »

Sorry, missed the bit about webers, but glad you can see what I mean about the hole.

It was a bad decision by VW to weaken a stress area that flexes.

pajsh

Post by pajsh »

No worries, happy to receive any advice out there.

If I'm going to be driving this to the Nats in August I'll need plenty of help in sourcing stuff and making sure I don't make mistakes.

My mate says I'll need to book a trailer if I want to be at Cosford so I need to prove him wrong :-).

Mark H
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Mark H »

Travel down to the Nats in the North West convoy, enough Knowledge and spares to get you there. We meet at Lymm services.

Mark..

Mark

Alpine White
VW Scirocco GT2 (1991)
Membership Number 1296