1983 GTI +

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
D4nc
fill in the right answer: 15

1983 GTI +

Post by D4nc »

Here’s my first scirocco.
I have bought it due to the spec with the thought process being mod it in a Restomod Stylee.

My first plan was modern show style interior (leather/alcantara with modern seats and possibly a rear cage) colour coding, 17/18” wheels etc. That all changed when I went to view it. A previous owner really had put in a lot of time and money as you will see with the spec. However the period parts on it are too good to mess with..... it would almost be sacrilege in my eyes.

Current spec -

1983 GTI
1.8kr conversion
280mm front brakes
Rear disc conversion
Factory unpainted body kit
Factory Single wiper shell
Factory single jet bonnet
Front overfenders with working washer jets
Zender rear spoiler
4 branch manifold with Custom S/S exhaust
Eibach ARBs
Eibach springs and Bilstiens (not 100% due to GMax receipt amongst the receipt file but not checked)
Polybushed.

Currently it is has just stopped running (electrical) but I hope to get to the bottom of this very soon to get it on a ramp and giving it a proper once over.

Current initial to do list is -

Underside of the bonnet needs some descaling and possible future proof repairs
Find out exactly what I have and what other work is required
Go through all of the work that has been done previously to check the quality and see if any improvements are required
Try and rectify the sunroof that slides but won’t tilt.
Wheel swapped for something nice but retro
Replace speakers and head unit

If anyone knows this car or have any photos please get in touch.
I’d love to know more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1983 GTI +

Post by mark1gls »

Looks a tidy car from the picture, more would be good as we like pictures.

The body kit is fitted after production as 1983 cars did not have it fitted on UK cars, unless it’s an import?

Sunroof not tilting is a broken plastic part in the mechanism as it’s a common problem, you can get hold of replacement parts, I’ll see if I can find the link and info....

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The tilt part is exclusive to the Mk2 Scirocco, Mk2 Golfs of the same year only had a slide sunroof.

Bit more info on the sunroof.
http://www.timbox.net/technotes/sunroof ... /#more-549

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/ma ... oledVW.pdf

Sunroof guide.
https://www.tech-53.com/product-p/44387 ... 877730.htm

Membership No. 323
D4nc

Post by D4nc »

Thanks mark1gls.

Great info.

I’ll get more photos when I get it off of my driveway. Let’s hope that it will very soon.

D4nc

Post by D4nc »

Here it is parked up with my daughters Up! On the driveway

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The Scirocco looks so small compared to the UP... VWs smallest car :-D

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Check the fuel system as common problem to get a rusty filler neck then crap in the fuel tank which then can block up the fuel pump and cause it to cut out. Shine a torch down the filler neck and there’s an inspection hole underneath the back seat but go carefully removing the fuel tank sender.

I guess you have a full size spare wheel and the smaller fuel tank if so you won’t have a lift pump inside the fuel tank, later cars from 84 ish had a space saver spare wheel, bigger fuel tank and an lift pump in the tank to help with fuel flow.

You can remove the relay below the fuel pump relay and turn it round so it fits in the fuel pump relay slot, this will mean the fuel pump should run as soon as you turn on the ignition

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

If you start up a new thread in the right section about the fault you have we may be able to help...

Also the Mk2 Scirocco shares a lot of stuff with the Mk1 Golf and cabriolet so lots of info if you search Golf as well as Scirocco

Membership No. 323
D4nc

Post by D4nc »

Update time again.

Since my last post we have some progress...IT IS ALIVE!!!

After getting an Auto electrician to give all of the wiring a once over my problem was narrows down to the distributor.
Part ordered and the wait commenced.
It turned out that the oil seals were shot and looked like it had been in a collision with the Exxon Valdez (reference for the youngsters)
New part in and it’s running, needs a little adjustment on timing and seems to be a bit rich but it’s running and that’s what’s important today.

Other jobs done this week are - remove massive Ring fog lights, removed the dodgy faux German number plate holders, front number plater plinth also removed to smooth the front spoiler and front speakers replaced with Alpine SXEs.

Final work is all thanks to [mention]Essextom [/mention] and his video about stopping the leaks.
Drain channels cleared, spoiler gaskets and a touch of silicone on the rear hatch screws and the washer jet.

No photos yet but I’ll get some tomorrow in the daylight.

essextom

Post by essextom »

D4nc wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:15 pm Update time again.

After getting an Auto electrician to give all of the wiring a once over my problem was narrows down to the distributor.
It turned out that the oil seals were shot and looked like it had been in a collision with the Exxon Valdez (reference for the youngsters)
New part in and it’s running, needs a little adjustment on timing and seems to be a bit rich but it’s running and that’s what’s important today.

Other jobs done this week are - remove massive Ring fog lights, removed the dodgy faux German number plate holders, front number plater plinth also removed to smooth the front spoiler and front speakers replaced with Alpine SXEs.

Final work is all thanks to [mention]Essextom [/mention] and his video about stopping the leaks.
Drain channels cleared, spoiler gaskets and a touch of silicone on the rear hatch screws and the washer jet.

Glad the video might have helped someone.

nice car, are you going to keep the kit on or go back to a non kitted look?

what interior has it got? any pics

D4nc

Post by D4nc »

essextom wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:45 pm

Your video was brilliant. It’s so refreshing to find videos that aren’t just “how to change brake pads” or “how I clean my car” videos.

The interior is the grey checked tweedy one in good condition.

Body kit wise I’m looking for a couple front arches to complete my spare late model smooth body kit to colour code. I am planning to keep the bumpers black to hold onto the older appearance.

essextom

Post by essextom »

D4nc wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:23 pm
essextom wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:45 pm

Your video was brilliant. It’s so refreshing to find videos that aren’t just “how to change brake pads” or “how I clean my car” videos.

The interior is the grey checked tweedy one in good condition.

Body kit wise I’m looking for a couple front arches to complete my spare late model smooth body kit to colour code. I am planning to keep the bumpers black to hold onto the older appearance.
cheers mate. think your interior is called glencheck the black version being the best looking imo.

D4nc

Post by D4nc »

Pulled out the garage today for the first time in months……. She’s a cutie Image

mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

Very nice!

chopperoli