M O T failure never…

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
C 20 CCO
fill in the right answer: 15

M O T failure never…

Post by C 20 CCO »

After failing the M o t….. shocked look on ones face!
on Offside Headlamp aim too high (4.1.2 (a))

Offside Steering rack gaiter missing or no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (ii))

Outer gaiter to driveshaft securing clip has gone awol and taken some of the gaiter with it. 😳😳?? Why?

Nearside Rear Wheel bearing has excessive play (5.1.3 (a) (i))

Last mot failure was beyond 2006 as every year since then, it has passed. So I’ve been lucky I suppose.

Anyone been bugged by a surprisingly bad mot history ??

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
GT_II

Re: M O T failure never…

Post by GT_II »

I know some car owners expect their car to fail every year, and only get stuff sorted when it fails. But for people who love their cars, it kind of hurts. And it's annoying when you miss something obvious like a failed side repeater bulb.

It's surprising how much you can pick up yourself with a pre-MOT check - jack up each corner in turn and remove each wheel - gaiters, brake hoses, brake pipes and hoses, pads and discs, wheels, tyres, rear wheel bearing play, suspension springs, exhaust, all straightforward to check, not to mention lighting, horn, windscreen, wipers and washers, seat belts, door and bonnet locks, filler cap, number plates. Not so easy are suspension and steering play, braking performance, emissions, structural corrosion (unless obviously holed).

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
Village Idiots
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Village Idiots »

Gotta get it passed for Hywel's and Linda's run, Dave!

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

There's a special section in the MOT testers handbook for failing Sciroccos - must include "rear wheel bearing excessive play" and also "rear brake performance insufficient". Obviously your tester didn't read the whole section :D

whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by whiteshark »

At least you can bring your car to a local garage to get the MOT carried out. Over in Northern Ireland, all MOT tests are run by the government and the test centres use kit that is based on the German MOT system. Many years ago, even though I would jack the car, adjust the handbrake that a small pinch locked the brakes, I would fail the test on a rear brake imbalance. This would then involve replacing both brake wheel cylinders before a retest. My car now has rear discs fitted!!

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

I’ll be there Jem, got a day to play with…. I would have mot’d earlier but my tester is on jury service.

I totally agree Mr Brown, some tester have no sense of humour. 😉

I’m pleased we don’t follow the government operating mot system , jeeze imagine the increase in corruption and back handers. 😁

I too changed to rear discs, still on the original pads if I remember correctly!

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.