Removing Radio Antenna / Aerial

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
daveyheats
fill in the right answer: 15

Removing Radio Antenna / Aerial

Post by daveyheats »

Afternoon all,
The aerial on my Scala is knackered so I'm thinking of just removing it and plugging the gap. Can't seem to find anything in the Haynes bible for accessing it, so was wondering if anyone could advise how you get to it behind that front wing?

Cheers!

chopperoli

Re: Removing Radio Antenna / Aerial

Post by chopperoli »

It's a bit inconvenient because you have to take the wheel off and remove the arch liner. Why not replace it with a new one if you're going to the effort?

Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

totally agree with above fir new aerial in hole... access is as described, wheel off, arch liner off. aerials can be bought for a mere £5 unto £100 for dab ready electric/powered aerial.

MK21800
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by MK21800 »

I read a post on here somewhere where the guy had plugged the hole and then installed his aerial inside the bulkhead fully extended, held in place with plastic ties. Always seemed like a good idea to me. Aerial always out of the way, and clean looking wing.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

MK21800 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:05 pm I read a post on here somewhere where the guy had plugged the hole and then installed his aerial inside the bulkhead fully extended, held in place with plastic ties. Always seemed like a good idea to me. Aerial always out of the way, and clean looking wing.
Out of the way, yes, but radio reception virtually zero I would have thought, surrounded by metal, pretty much a Faraday cage?

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k