Help sub frame brackets

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Henryhall1
fill in the right answer: 15

Help sub frame brackets

Post by Henryhall1 »

Hi my D registered Scirocco GT has had lots of work done and it passed its MOT 👍. However the tester said the rear sub frame brackets were touch and go, but he did pass it. Can anyone help/ advise where I could find a couple of good or new ones. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Trevor

Blueshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Help sub frame brackets

Post by Blueshark »

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Henryhall1 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:28 pm Hi my D registered Scirocco GT has had lots of work done and it passed its MOT 👍. However the tester said the rear sub frame brackets were touch and go, but he did pass it. Can anyone help/ advise where I could find a couple of good or new ones. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Trevor
Hi, I assume you are talking about the rear suspension. Do you know what the tester meant by brackets being touch and go? Was it the mounting brackets that attach the subframe to the body, the brackets that hold the anti-roll bar to the subframe, or was the problem structural corrosion in the bodywork in the area the subframe brackets are attached?

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
Henryhall1

Post by Henryhall1 »

Hi it was the mounting brackets that attach the subframe to the body. Thanks. Trevor

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

171501537B is the part number for the bracket/bush assembly, no longer available. Many retailers still list this part number, but just for the rubber bush, which was never supplied as a separate part by VW. VW South Africa did apparently sell the bracket separately for their Mk1 based Citi Golf with part number 161501535, but this also looks unavailable.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

You can buy new ones from Germany, they should be the same for a Mk2 Scirocco

https://www.werk34.de/en/bearing-suppor ... 537-b.html

It may be cheaper to buy a complete 2nd hand ream beam as they do pop up every now and then, Mk1 Golf and Golf cabriolet should have the same running gear as the Mk2 Scirocco.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

You sure it was the brackets on the beam and not the bodywork section these attach to?
The body sub frame is usually the suspect area.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Village Idiots wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:54 am You sure it was the brackets on the beam and not the bodywork section these attach to?
The body sub frame is usually the suspect area.
My thought also.