Mk2 storm fuel pump

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Philhop
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk2 storm fuel pump

Post by Philhop »

Hi guys. Looking for a bit of direction, got a 1984 mk2 storm here, just been brought out of 14 year storage. Done all the belts etc but it seems that the fuel pump or pumps are shot.
Is the “in tank pump” an prime pump or a sender unit? And is their a 2nd inline main pump?
It’s the 1.8 DX fuel injection model
Any help will be appreciated thanks

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Mk2 storm fuel pump

Post by mark1gls »

Oh another Mk2 storm is being brought back to live, what great news..

What have you done to the fuel system before trying to start the engine?

Have you looking side the fuel tank as the fuel goes off after about 12 months so if there’s 14 year old stuff in there and I expect the inside of the metal fuel may be rusty. You don’t want to be sucked through the fuel system as the Bosch K-jet is sensitive to dirt, grit and rust.

There is 2 fuel pumps and a relay which do go wrong, relay easy to test, in tank fuel pump cheap and easy to change and the main fuel pump, expensive and a pain to change as it’s underneath the car and exposed to the elements.

DON’T start the car if you have not looking in side the fuel tank and checked the tank, you can check the lift pump in the tank at the same time. It’s underneath the back seat, black metal plate with 3 screws, remove the screws and plate and you will see the fuel tank sender, bayonet type fitting so twist and remove carefully as the tank float is at an angle and the fuel pump is on the end with a big plastic filter on the end.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vw-golf-mk1- ... 7675.l2557

If the fuels good and new fuel in the tank test the fuel pump relay.

http://www.timbox.net/technotes/fuse-panel/

Car battery earth lead removed then remove the fuel pump relay and the smaller relay below it. Put the smaller relay in the fuel pump relay slot and then connect the battery. When you switch the ignition on the fuel pumps should run constantly (don’t run the pumps for to long as they need fuel going through them to keep cool) then try and start the car.

If main pump not running start socking all the connections in Plusgas or similar penetrating fluid and keep spraying for a day or two. Check over the fuel lines around that area for perished rubber or split lines.

Let us know how it goes what you have done etc as happy to help if needed. :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Philhop

Post by Philhop »

Thanks for the reply..
Luckily the tank was completely empty and upon looking inside it’s fairly clean so I’m happy with that. The intank pump though is completely knackered all furry and perished ive jumped a 12v onto it and doesn’t work at all.
I can hear a pump working (under the car) that’s why assumed their was 2. I’ve cracked the fuel line off the filter an nothing at all is coming through, so I’m guessing the intank is to blame and probably change that first.
I’ve had it running with a make shift hand pump at the fuel filter and basically forced fuel in. Runs sweet.
I’ve checked the link you posted but it’s already ended, can’t find another anywhere..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobbybox

Post by Bobbybox »

Good to know another Storm will be rescued.
Any photos and background on the car?

Philhop

Post by Philhop »

Not sure how to post photos tbh.. but I believe it was first owned by non other that James Hewitt of all people, for 6 years.
It’s lived a life in the south of France too before coming back to the uk and ended up stored for 14 years.

Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

better to replace both pumps and the fuel accumulator, that way you shouldnt need to revisit either anytime soon. Ive got new intank pumps, from peirburg, for 25£ posted .
AS mentioned above, the intank is the priming pump, so its needed to start the system running, then the main pump(external) kicks in to deliver the fuel to the engine. Without a functional intank pump, the external pump struggles and will make horrid noise until finally burns out.

Philhop

Post by Philhop »

Ah ha here we go.. [emoji1787]

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

New lift pump - in tank pump here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200691149226 ... SwcwlfslHy

You will probably need to replace the little bit of rubber hose between the pump and fuel sender as they rot in the fuel, make sure it’s the same length as the original one or the pump will be to high or to low in the fuel tank.

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Info from Haynes manual

Membership No. 323
Philhop

Post by Philhop »

mark1gls wrote:New lift pump - in tank pump here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200691149226 ... SwcwlfslHy

You will probably need to replace the little bit of rubber hose between the pump and fuel sender as they rot in the fuel, make sure it’s the same length as the original one or the pump will be to high or to low in the fuel tank.
Cheers mate.. yeah rotten isn’t the word for that hose tbh.. [emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji1360]