Replacing entire front end / slam panel

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
daveyheats
fill in the right answer: 15

Replacing entire front end / slam panel

Post by daveyheats »

Afternoon all,

Heres another 'how do i?' question for you all! Can anyone explain how one goes about replacing the front end of a MK2? The car had a front impact in a previous life, meaning the bonnet no longer closes properly and it's all a bit of a mess so I'm thinking of tackling this next week while the weather is crap.

The bumper itself is fine, and I've acquired a complete slam panel (photo below), so I'd really appreciate some info on how I can fit the new one.

Am I right in thinking the front wings don't need to be removed? And is there a guide out there anywhere on how to go about removing and replacing this?

Many thanks for any info!

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Replacing entire front end / slam panel

Post by essextom »

first id strip yours to see what is actually bent, might only need the upper slam panel and not a whole front clip. that will determine what you need to do.

C 20 CCO
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Replacing entire front end / slam panel

Post by C 20 CCO »

Agreed with Tom, take some measurements to see which side is out of true. Do the panel gaps look uniform between wing and bonnet.
Check the leg length on each side too.
Then you only need to remove what needs to come off.

So i take it the bumper is a replacement, or was it original to the car on impact?
If it was a low front impact could the slam panel be pulled out on a jig assuming the gaps are still correct in between bonnet and wings.

Do your measurements first to see what’s what

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.