Mk2 Scirocco Brake Cables

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Nuckleduster
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk2 Scirocco Brake Cables

Post by Nuckleduster »

Hi all,
After a lay up due to Covid 19 lockdowns, I have got the Rocco out of mothballs and geting her ready for M.O.T.
Brake cables binding--so ordered new ones from my usual supplier and when they arrived, found that not correct ones.
Mine are 1765mm long and the ones supplied are around 1700mm . After talking with supplier the ones supplied are MK1 Golf cables and should fit--but they do not as the outer is too short to go properly between cable guide tubes and backplate--nevermind getting past the fuel pump on offside.
After a lot of searching around the net found that QHazel BC2083 are the correct ones at 1765mm long.
Has anyone had this difficulty?
I know that the speedo cables are different and the rocco ones are longer at I think 1860mm. Going to do battle with that one now.
Got our narrowboat out of mothballs and didn`t have this sort of trouble getting her ready for cruising the canal. Engine on that one is a Mitsubishi 3 cy dumper engine and spares are readily available despite being same age as Rocco.
Just be carefull getting spares for Rocco--not all Mk1 golf bits fit even if suppliers say they will
Stay safe and best wishes
Gerry

91 Scirocco Scala 1.8 inj rolling shell gone but not forgotten
90 Scirocco Scala 1.8 inj Colour Dark Metalic Green daily ride
Vw MK4 Golf Estate @180bhp Daily working car--Silver
94 Corrado 2.9 VR6 Metalic purple--gone to Manchester--
mr.brown

Re: Mk2 Scirocco Brake Cables

Post by mr.brown »

Handbrake cable for a 1991 mk2 is shown as 171609721C - a mk1 Golf 1700mm cable.

And then it gets better, the only QH BC2083 on ebay says its for mk2 Scirocco and mk2 Golf - which is a 1535mm cable.

Nuckleduster

Post by Nuckleduster »

Hi regarding cables, Mine are 1765mm long and the standard MK1 Golf are circa 1700mm. I checked around and found that the 1765 cables are QH ones. I also checked the outer length of the QH ones and found they matched the 2 cables i pulled off my (wife`s) Rocco exactly. The ones I was supplied with circa 1700mm are going back, as the supplier is as mistified as me.I took pics of the cables together with a tape measure taped to the cables and sent them this morning to the supplier and they can`t get their head around the problem. They looked at the link I supplied to the QH site and agreed with my findings.I have run Rocco`s for over 20 years now, having several Scalas in that time and cables have never been a problem--usually the ones that came from GSF or Europarts are QH ones at 1765mm.Regarding the speedo cable -got correct one only to find gearbox end square had come off the cable due to poor crimping--can`t win today!! Another one to go back to a different supplier.

Blueshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Blueshark »

Do you have drums or disc brakes in the rear ?

Joost

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

If you have discs, people always recommend the 16v scirocco cables 533609721, but in my experience these are too short and require flipping the calipers.

What I currently have is mk2 golf (I believe 16v) ones 191609721A which are 1800mm which are perfect

- David
Nuckleduster

Post by Nuckleduster »

Hi, I have drums and not discs. The "standard" cable supplied is circa 1700mm and they do not fit under our Rocco. The nearside is short on the outer between the guide tubes and the backplate. On the offside they are not long enough to get around the fuel pump/accumulator. Most are listed as Golf MK1 and all Scirocco from 84-92. Might fit a MK1 Golf but not as listed a MK2 Rocco
QH BC2083 are 1765mm inner and 1088mm outer. Having checked these measurements against my old cables these QH ones are the correct ones for our `89 Scala. I have ordered 2 directly from QH on ebay. They appear to be readily available if you put QH BC2083 into search bar. These ones are listed for the 16v Rocco s and many Golf models.Febi also do one as a replacement for the QH one of this length, again multiple listings.
By the way has anyone fitted the bolt on rear anti roll bar clamps instead of the horrible clamps that were used originally which were a swine to fit. Not cheap at £36 but if they are easier to fit then I`m all for them. I`m on about the ones on the arms that go to each wheel and not the ones in the middle of the axle.Did them on my last Scirocco and taught the whole neighbourhood a whole new vocabulary in swearing.
Best Wishes
Gerry

Nuckleduster

Post by Nuckleduster »

Fitted the bolt on clamps--10mins each side and not the couple of hours struggling to fit the OE type. Dead easy to fit --all you need is a pair of mole grips to pull the ends initially together before fitting one bolt loosly--remove moles and fit second bolt--tighten up SIMPLES!!!