Wheels and rubbing

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
mathewsant
fill in the right answer: 15

Wheels and rubbing

Post by mathewsant »

Hi all - I have an immaculate K reg Scirocco GT2 which is currently on a set of 15x7 BBS RS on 195/50/15 tyres.

I love the wheels but they let the car down as they are not immaculate, so I’m considering some Ronal LS or similar.

Does anyone have any experience with these or similar? They are 7.5” wide and ET25.

I am worried about rubbing.

At the moment the car is not lowered, but I’d like to lower it in future.

Does anyone know if these will rub on standard suspension? And whether I’d be able to lower it without having to make modifications to the arches, which i’d rather avoid

Thanks

Mat

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Wheels and rubbing

Post by essextom »

if you lower the car the likelyhood is you may have to trim/ roll the arches a little, but it depends on the tyres a lot depending on stretch etc..

a lot of people run wide wheels on these, ive got some et 35 15x7 compomotive mo5's but the offset is wrong so running 10mm spacers up front and 20mm (i think) axle spacers up rear. but my arches are cut and its a little wider than standard.

let me know if your selling your bbs RS's

mathewsant

Post by mathewsant »

Thanks for the reply.

I will be selling my BBS RS once the new wheels are fitted - if you're interested I can send you some photos.

They're very nice - just not brand new as the rest of the car looks.

essextom

Post by essextom »

yeah ping me a pic and price mate.

mathewsant

Post by mathewsant »

I'd want £800 minimum, which seems a bargain compared to some on eBay.

If you're interested, can you give me you're email - I'm struggling to upload photos on here.

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Mat - have a google image search of "bassboy scirocco". Pretty sure he was on LS with coilovers wound all the way down and half a ton of subwoofers in the rear.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

If you look at my project thread A16GTX you'll see at one stage I ran EXIP et25 7x15 alloys, similar to the Ronal LS, lowered in 2010 and fitted 195/45-15 rubber without any issues - the 195/50-15 tyres would've rubbed.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
mathewsant

Post by mathewsant »

Thanks guys - both really helpful

I’ve been looking online and came across A16 GTX and thought it looked good so good to know your wheel and tyre sizes

I’ve also seen H143 RET although that had rolled arches

mathewsant

Post by mathewsant »

GTXTRA, do you think 195/50s would be ok on standard suspension? There's only 1cm in tyres depth after all? I thought if it’s fine lowered say 40mm on 195/45s that I’d get away with 30mm on the 195/50s?

essextom

Post by essextom »

mathewsant wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:49 pm I'd want £800 minimum, which seems a bargain compared to some on eBay.

If you're interested, can you give me you're email - I'm struggling to upload photos on here.
dreadnoughtcustoms@gmail.com

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

mathewsant wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:16 pm GTXTRA, do you think 195/50s would be ok on standard suspension? There's only 1cm in tyres depth after all? I thought if it’s fine lowered say 40mm on 195/45s that I’d get away with 30mm on the 195/50s?
Yes - you would be ok. The shots in my project thread with the 'shiny' pre refurb Exips on the 50 series rubber were when the car was on a 40mm lower Spring/Damper set up.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
mathewsant

Post by mathewsant »

GTXTRA - I've just re-read your post and looked at your thread - if I am understanding correctly, you had it lowered 40mm on 195/50s?

Did you have to modify the arches, and did it rub?

I don't want to go any lower than that really.

Got the new wheels on now and wondering what to do - looking at it, its hard to believe I'd get away with 40mm without rubbing

Hoping to get to the Scirocco Register show this year, where hopefully someone with more experience than me can have a look and give me some advice!