E10 petrol?

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
SciRossco
fill in the right answer: 15

E10 petrol?

Post by SciRossco »

Anyone else thinking about a possible engine upgrade to avoid any possible issues? Maybe even a diesel turbo or electric?

1992 Scirocco GTII
1984 Scirocco Storm Cosmos
2007 Touran SE
GT_II

Re: E10 petrol?

Post by GT_II »

E5 fuel should still be around for at least 5 years as super unleaded. Although VW say E5 is safe for VWs of any age, because I don't use my Scirocco as a daily driver I prefer to play safe and fill up with Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99, rated E5, but guaranteed Ethanol free except in a few areas - see:

[url]https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol[url

I guess if you're a daily driver, the extra cost of super unleaded may be an issue.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
SciRossco

Post by SciRossco »

Yeh I heard about super unleaded staying E5 for a while, didn't realise VW had said E10 is safe tho that's good then! Still wouldn't mind looking into a future EV conversion been watching that vintage voltage program can see it getting cheaper and easier as technology improves. It's not a daily driver anyway just gets out for summers but has been in the garage the last 2 years now unfortunately.

1992 Scirocco GTII
2007 Touran SE
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

No, VW say our Mk2 Sciroccos are not suitable for E10 sadly, but E5 is fine. However, my understanding is E5 can decompose if stored for an extended period (winter for example), which VW may not have considered, so I use Esso super fuel which is guaranteed ethanol-free in most areas.

The government's proposal is that standard premium (95 RON) unleaded should from this year switch from E5 (up to 5% ethanol) to E10 (uo to 10% ethanol) but super unleaded (97+ RON) should remain as E5, at least for the next 5 years. The final decision and changeover is possibly delayed a bit by Brexit and COVID I'm guessing.

But pretty soon, it is likely Mk1 and 2 Sciroccos will need to fill up with super unleaded to avoid fuel system problems. Many of the higher performance engines were tuned for the higher RON rating anyway.
Last edited by GT_II on Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

SciRossco

Post by SciRossco »

Oh yeh I misread that lol

1992 Scirocco GTII
2007 Touran SE
WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

I don’t know how relevant it is to the UK, but this Australian website reckons all fuel injected VWs after 1986 can run on E10.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-advice ... fuel-23625

Personally, I always use Super Unleaded anyway in my carb VW and fuel injected Volvo of a similar vintage.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Well, my memory is playing tricks. According to VW, all European market VW petrol engined cars of any age can safely use E10 petrol, with the exception of a large swathe of first generation FSI models from the early 2000s. The latest definitive list is available here:

https://www.acea.be/publications/articl ... ility-list

So no need to avoid E10 apparently in Mk1 and Mk2 Sciroccos (or Mk3 for that matter), although I suspect VW's stance is in part influenced by its desire to enhance (at least as was at the time E10 was introduced in Europe in 2011) their strong green reputation. I for one will carry on treating my GT II to ethanol free Esso Super.

Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

Personally ive found that the new fuels degrade the old fuel hoses, quicker. So would rather replace the fuel lines and then try tune car to run. If you have ever removed the lift pumps from the petrol tanks , you may have found that the connecting fuel line and suction pipes have rotton away, and crumble on contact with air. I found this out after storing mk1 gti with 1/4 tank, the hose exposed to air in the tank section was powder on inspection. Changed to new rated lines no issue since.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

I just thought the problem was with older rubber fuel hose.
I’ve found my fuel injection car runs better on super unleaded so not much of a problem for my GTi and I’ll upgrade my short bits of rubber fuel line on the Mk1 Scirocco and the main pipe under the car is copper nickel so I don’t think I have to worry about that?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
SciRossco

Post by SciRossco »

I read that the extra moisture it contains can cause carbs to corrode as well

1992 Scirocco GTII
2007 Touran SE
Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

mark1gls wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:31 pm I just thought the problem was with older rubber fuel hose.
I’ve found my fuel injection car runs better on super unleaded so not much of a problem for my GTi and I’ll upgrade my short bits of rubber fuel line on the Mk1 Scirocco and the main pipe under the car is copper nickel so I don’t think I have to worry about that?
Yes mark thats exactly how i see it.. replace the parts with new graded parts... dont trust the ebay stuff as its been reported to be bad. Ive bought lengths of stuff from carbuilder solutions.

ThomasD

Post by ThomasD »

I would have concerns with E10 in the old metal fuel tanks in the Scirocco and on the in tank level sender and fuel pump assembly on CIS cars (exactly what Kdc169 referred to above), some parts of which are getting hard to find.

One option is to replace an old fuel tank with one which is more tolerant of E10. Spectra Premium is a Canadian company and makes replacement fuel tanks (in Canada) for VWs and other makes and they claim their tanks are compatible with up to 20% ethanol. As Kdc169 mentions, you can also replace the hoses on the lift pump assembly which would help. A modern pump should be ok with E10. The level sender itself may be a bit of an issue.

Finally here is a relatively unbiased article on E10 and how it applies to classic vehicles.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2012/1 ... ector-cars

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
Nutty

Post by Nutty »

For simplicities sake I'll stick with Esso Supreme, a mate of mine races vintage cars and only uses this, E10 will cause all sorts of problems if left over winter especially water absorption.

The first tool invented was a hammer, the second a bigger hammer
Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

Yandards

Post by Yandards »

Double the ethanol content in E10 will attract more water into the fuel system if the car is laid up for extended periods. Whilst the majority of the fuel system won't be affected by running E10 (it's mostly brass stuff that seems to suffer) the metal fuel tank on the Scirocco won't take kindly to increased water in the fuel - there are some lay up inhibitors available that might help. Biggest issue remains the octane rating degredation through using old fuel which is worse in either E5 or E10.

Yandards

1991 1.8i DX Scala in pearl green
1990 16vG60 Corrado in blue pearl