Stereo Wiring Colours

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
jskinner97
fill in the right answer: 15

Stereo Wiring Colours

Post by jskinner97 »

Hi guys, my scirocco mk2 wiring has been heavily butchered with a crappy alarm, now ripped out, and the radio wiring. I want to take the radio side of things right back to bare. What are the original wiring colours, and did they have a factory switched live or only a permenant live.

Cheers.

GT_II

Re: Stereo Wiring Colours

Post by GT_II »

I took a couple photos last year of the wiring for the ISO radio plugs on my '92 GT II. I suspect these are shared with most Mk2 Sciroccos equipped with 4 speakers, at least from the mid 1980s. UK cars were also fitted with a short adapter loom to suit the UK market radios sold at the time by VAG (UK).

The first photo shows the power plug. Red is permanent live, brown is earth, blue/grey is instrument lighting, red/brown is switched live, white/yellow is vehicle speed signal (GALA)
Radio_power_plug.jpg
The second photo shows the speaker plug. The wires on the left of the picture are all speaker earth (-ve), the wires on the right speaker live (+ve). From top to bottom of the picture, the order of the speaker wires is rear right, front right, front left and rear left.
Radio_speaker_plug.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
ThomasD

Post by ThomasD »

My Scirocco is a bit older - a 1984 and the wiring is a bit different. I don't think there was switched power going to the radio - only permanent power (Red). Brown is ground, Black is the signal to the power antenna. Grey/Blue is illumination.

Confusing things is it has a separate fader rheostat located behind the gear shift. Originally I believe this was used to take a 2 speaker radio and drive the 4 speakers. But I understand it was also used with 4 speaker radios. I'm not sure what the wiring for that looked like.

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

It looks like the ISO radio plugs in my pictures were introduced by VW for the 1988 model year and survived up till the late 90s, so the wiring colours in my earlier post are not necessarily applicable to earlier Sciroccos.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
jskinner97

Post by jskinner97 »

Cheers guys, I have traced them all. Both fronts are there along with a permeant live, and earth. The rear speaker cables have been cut more or less to bulkhead! So i'll run some new ones... And i've made a switched live from blower motor feed.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

You can take a switched live from the back of the fuse box as I believe there is a couple of spare feeds. I think it’s in P part of the fuse box.

Best to upgrade the speaker wires as the standard stuff is not very good quality.

More info on the fuse box and layout

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... g-layout_2

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

I hate this..... why is my white rocco with older type radio plugs with 1 small plug and 4 loose speaker wires. I bought a radio from here to match loom.. not tried it yet, but no doubt will work,and then ill fix speakers.

WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

When I needed to amend the somewhat butchered wiring in my late model GTII I used some suitable connectors from this kit to make a more professional job of joining the pre-made tails that came with my stereo onto the wiring in the car.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-Aut ... B07CLZJ6J5

I had originally planned to attach ISO connectors directly to the wiring in the car but some of the original wires were getting a bit on the short side. I also reasoned that should I need to change it again in the future I could avoid disturbing the original wires again and just plug in alternative tails.

I discovered that the factory rear speaker cabling actually attaches via an LP4 Molex connector close to the bulkhead (in fact so close it was initially hard to see) so I incorporated that into my design to avoid an extra join in the speaker cables.

I’m seemingly unable to upload pictures at the moment otherwise I’d include some.