External Fuel Pump Replacement

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Imatk
fill in the right answer: 15

External Fuel Pump Replacement

Post by Imatk »

Trying to find a writeup or some information on how to replace the external fuel pump.

Following the Bentley it reads "Remove insulated holder from bracket."

Yeah how the heck do you do that?

Also how do you manage to replace the fuel expansion tank that's way up on the side of the fuel tank? Do you have to drop the fuel tank?

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: External Fuel Pump Replacement

Post by mark1gls »

It's a pain if everything if everything is rusty as mine was so start soaking the bolts and nuts in penetrating oil..

From memory, remove the 3 nuts that hold the fuel pump cage to the car, remove the electrical connections, clamp the fuel hose going into the fuel pump but depends on how much fuel in in your tank? undo the fuel lines going in and out of the pump then remove the the whole unit, take the foam out of the cage and you should get to the fuel pump.

I had a nightmare undoing the fuel lines into the pump as you need a thin spanner to hold the pump still while you undo the connections and mine did not want to come undone and you can't use any heat for obvious reasons..

Quick search for Mk1 golf as Cabriolet has the same set up, lots of threads out there.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... -fuel-pump

Can't help much with the swirl pot as not done that but I guess you will need to drop the tank a bit to gain access?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Kdc169
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: External Fuel Pump Replacement

Post by Kdc169 »

as with all lower parts on a car take care with rust and pin holes..... you can change all and then next day find a pin hole leak, due to removal and install, plus improved pressure on the pipes from new pumps.
Try wire brush, then wd40/plus gas /and leave to soak prior to trying to remove..... double check parts in case you need 1 hose, or 2, replace where possible non ethanol standard flue hose...