Scala auto - ATF heat-exchanger plumbing (or NOT!)

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
kidcrewbob
fill in the right answer: 15

Scala auto - ATF heat-exchanger plumbing (or NOT!)

Post by kidcrewbob »

Afternoon all - as per pic below, I have been lucky enough to source a brand new old stock 010 TNA auto box which I was gonna raid for parts for my Scala 1.8 carb - so valve body, torque converter, govenor assembly etc etc to try & eliminate the juddering / shaking the current TJA suffers when at junctions in 1st or in reverse.

When considering it further and reading about the myriad of other internal stuff that can go wrong with old / worn auto boxes I started thinking that it was actually a bit daft using it for parts and I may as well as just swap it out - down side to this was I would have to swap the 100mm cups for the 90mm on the TJA and accept that the gear ratios wouldn't be quite as leisurely in top - this new one is slightly higher revs but nippier for that. So having swapped the cups the final challenge is what to do about the transmission oil cooler - and this is what I need to be sense-checked.

Based on the knowledge that these boxes don't ordinaily need cooling (in regular cars at any rate - most coolers seem to be in vans and drag cars), initial thoughts were to perhaps somehow block off where the banjo bolts are but discounted as couldn't find reference to anyone else who had done this and would probably interrupt the flow of hot fluid internally (?) - that left 2 options :-

1. work out how to integrate into the water cooling system (but again, can't find and refs as to how to achieve this)
2. do nothing and let the oil flow through the heat exchanger without cooling - I am thinking this last option would be fine in view of the fact that it really doesn't need cooling as far as I know

2 is favourite & least resource hungry but would appreciate your views as to whether my logic is sound here! TIA. Rob

unknownmale

Re: Scala auto - ATF heat-exchanger plumbing (or NOT!)

Post by unknownmale »

I think the first option would be the easiest to achieve, you'd only need to tee into the hose leading from the bottom of the expansion tank for the inlet and the outlet to the metal tube where the hose from the expansion tank would have gone. Although i don't think it needs to be cooled at all. The pan does look a little shallower on that box though, so perhaps it holds less ATF?

- David
kidcrewbob

Post by kidcrewbob »

Cheers fellah - looks to be same pan as others but good call re the plumbing if it's that simple - would inlet be the top and out the bottom do you think??

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

I think in at the top, out the bottom would be easiest because of the routing of the hoses

- David
kidcrewbob

Post by kidcrewbob »

nice one - I will have a go at that...!