Fitting a 3 point rear seat belt

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Ade1
fill in the right answer: 15

Fitting a 3 point rear seat belt

Post by Ade1 »

Hi
I'm looking to fit 3 point seat belts in the rear so my kids can sit in the back with booster seats and be a bit safer than the standard lap belts. 7yrs and 4yrs old so too big for the Britax eclipse which I saw suggested in a previous post worked with a lap belt.

Trouble is I can't find the fixing points on the pillars behind/ above the rear seats. And I have gone as far as going under the lining.
If anyone has done this can they post a pic so I can see the position where it mounts above the seats on the pillars.

I read somewhere that UK law made it compulsory post 1987 to have 3 point seat belts in the back. My car is a 1986 GTX. I'm starting to think it doesn't have fixing points as it was pre this law, can anyone shed any light?

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Fitting a 3 point rear seat belt

Post by GTXTRA »

They are there - just feel the roof lining gently on the rear pillars.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

VW have fitted 3 point belt anchorages in the rear for years - I used them to fit a child seat in my parents' 1973 Beetle 1303 for my baby brother back in 1980.

The pictures in this thread should help to locate the anchorages on the Scirocco:

http://forum.sciroccoregister.co.uk/vie ... 13&t=21834

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The welded in nuts are behind the liner and behind a sort of foam covering so they hard to find, look at pictures to roughly guess where they are and feel for some sort of hole when you are confident you have found it poke a small hole in the liner to check you are in the right place then make the hole bigger with a craft knife/Stanley knife.

I found mine in a 1978 scirocco and I was worried about poking holes in the head liner but luckily I found the nut.
I found some bolts to fit all the seat belt fixing on my Scirocco from a Mk4 Golf seat belts in a scrap yard for pence..

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Ade1

Post by Ade1 »

Thanks for the reply everyone really appreciate it.
I'll have a look again when I get the chance.
Was beginning to think my car didn't have them.

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

All Scirocco MK2 have them.

Just rub one finger over the C-pillar about in the middle.

You will find a sort of pothole and if you press firm with one finger it will leave a little dimple in the vinyl for a while.
Check the othe side in the same position and you will be sure you found it.

Joost