Has anyone used slick 50 or other gearbox additives

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
EDDIE-F
fill in the right answer: 15

Has anyone used slick 50 or other gearbox additives

Post by EDDIE-F »

My 020 5 speed gearbox has all new linkages new oil at the correct level. But still it does not inspire confidence for sporty driving. It can sometimes be momentarily reluctant to go into or strangely, out of a gear.
I have just put a new clutch in and its not dragging at all. Sometimes it will do many gear changes silky smooth then be odd. it always goes into gear never grinds or slams or crunches.
But if i rate it on gear change quality. Compared with the many other cars, old and new i have driven. I would rate it a 7 out of ten at best.
I have owned two Scirocco's a 1.6 carbed automatic and this manual 1989 gt 1.8.

Are these 020 gearboxes always a bit slow and woolly?
Has any one tried any additives to help the syncho with good or bad results etc?
Ed
Ashford

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Has anyone used slick 50 or other gearbox additives

Post by mark1gls »

What oil have you stuck in the gearbox?

What's your bulkhead like where the clutch cables goes through and do you have a aftermarket strengthening plate fitted?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
EDDIE-F

Post by EDDIE-F »

new clutch, pressure plate, all oil seals,pushrod, release bearing and lever arm. All new engine mounts. New clutch cable.
Bulkhead is a later design with built in round strengthening in perfect order no cracks or flex.
Oil is a standard multipurpose oil recommended by my local and very good vw parts supplier

I would say i did initially think it was lack of oil so i put more in and was shocked how too much oil made the gearbox almost undriveable. Drained it back to normal level now and like I say its perfectly useable but you have to take changes slowly

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I did switch to fully synthetic gearbox oil which helped with my 1st to 2nd gear crunch when cold and gave me smoother gear changes.
I can change gear quickly especially when I drive it like I stole it and not had problems with the 2 different gearboxes in my Mk1 Golf and 2 different gearboxes in my Mk1 Scirocco.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car- ... &0&cc5_868

Oil level is car on a level surface, fill up the fill hole on side of gearbox till it runs out, I've never managed to get the Haynes recommended 2L in any of my gearboxes more like just over 1L.....

Even VW "upgraded" straightening plate is just a little bit of metal around the hole and in my eyes still no where big enough.

Are all the bushes greased up?

Have you got 10mm free play on the pedal?

Not tried gearbox oil additives as I change my gearbox oil every 50,000 miles.

Guide site on 020 gearboxes.

http://www.brokevw.com

Membership No. 323
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Stuff oil additives, just use good quality full synth oil with esters.

I use redline motorsport and have for years as it works wonders :) It used on alot of cars with known notchy boxes

Its only pounds more over standard to buy really.

EDDIE-F

Post by EDDIE-F »

Its been a real surprise how just different oil levels and oil types affect the feel of a simple gearbox. I have read a lot of reviews and experts talking about all aspects of gear oil. everything I read and my experiences thus far have come down to this:
If you put too much oil in it causes the synchromesh system of cone clutches (synchro rings) to not grip the gears to match their speed on a gear change. Making it difficult to get in or out of gear.
If you put too much oil in the gears churn up the oil forming a foam which can leak out of breathers.
Gearboxes use a thing referred to as splash lubrication.
The speed you can go from one gear to another, is partly dictated by how quick the oil can be displaced off the synchro rings friction surfaces.
The viscosity of gear oils varies.
Some gear oils are bad for 020 boxes as they erode the brass components inside. I think these were GL5 rated.
one expert simply stated thinner oil will give quicker and smoother gear changes with more wear. So with that in mind. I only do 3K miles a a year.
I looked at a range of gear oils and the blurb on the web and decided to fill my gearbox with AMSOIL SYNCHROMESH SYNTHETIC FROM DEMON TWEEKS IN THE UK. This was one of the thinnest gear oils available.
The results were very good. Better low speed changing from first to second, second to first very nice fast up through the gears to 5th and back down again. No noticeable increase in transmission noise. Very pleased I put this stuff in i give my gear change a 9 out of ten now.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Good the hear an oil change helped the gearbox feel. :-D
Gearbox oil is so often over looked.

Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

i put some of this in my gearbox with good results
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engin ... ment-250ml
but to be fair changing all the gear linkages and bushings made a big diference

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
EDDIE-F

Post by EDDIE-F »

as a footnote to my previous entries on my gearbox.
It developed a habit of not wanting to come out of gear and reluctance to go in to a gear usually 1 or 2nd .
I took the new new linkage off the in and out selector from the bell crank and fitted the old loose one and it was instantly cured.
I am probably one spline out on the gear change and as a result not enough room between the reverse lockout finger and first or second.
Whatever the reason what looked like a defective box is now fine again. The extra 2mm in length is not visible if you hold old and new side by side. I made an adjustable one to prove my theory but also determine that longer than new by 2-10mm works fine. Yes i could have got back under and moved the linkage on the spline round by one also.
Also fitted a home made quick shift which is a big improvement for a easy job.

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Try Syncromesh MTL by redline

- David
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

unknownmale wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:04 pm Try Syncromesh MTL by redline
+1 on Redline.

I always use it and my brother used to swear by it in his exige as they had iffy boxes.

To be fair though whatever good quality ester based oil opie has on offer will do it as its better than the old cheap and nasty old stuff from a motor factors they usually have in.