best engine in a mk2

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
The Autoad
fill in the right answer: 10

best engine in a mk2

Post by The Autoad »

So, the exhaust manifold is blowing and the rocker cover leaking oil. time to do something about it.

your thoughts on the best engine in a mk2?

standard 8v?
2ltr 8v?
16v?

Don't want to go the 20v route or anything daft, just a quick and simple install or refurb. I do have a cheeky ported and polished Mytech head in the Unit...

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
GTXTRA

Re: best engine in a mk2

Post by GTXTRA »

having regular access to all three mentioned..............2 litre 8v all the way.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
jonGTX

Post by jonGTX »

I'm quite happy with the 8v that's in the scala at the mo, pulls quite well, though could be tempted by something charged 8-)

Rocco Mafia Car of Choice 2010
1989 Helios Blue Scala 16v *sold*
1994 Mulberry Corrado VR6 *sold*
1991 Tornado Red Scala GTi Engineering RE2000 8V *sold*
1991 VW Polo G40 *sold*
1990 Pearl Green Scala
2020 VW Polo GTi
skattrd

Post by skattrd »

I've not driven anything but 8v so can't comment from the driving point of view but I had a similar quandary whilst deciding what to do with white. Personally I've decided on an ABF (2l 16v) on bike carbs as its the simplest wire up (especially if starting with a carbed car) looks tidier with non of the k-jet gubbins, sounds great and should give the best power output, ... I'm hoping for about 170bhp when I eventually get round to doing it.

Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

been in a couple of valvers :groove: quick motors indeed, good with the weight factor and smile factor :D
Daily driver is a 2.0 8v Toledo and although slow'ish (heavy) its advantages are certainly MPG and middle of the rev range :)

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net
Redrum

Post by Redrum »

The standard 8v all the way :cool:

If you want more power, you can make it quick enough with a few mods.....

monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by monzajake »

As you have a ported 8v head, give the block a refurb,could be done over a couple of wkends,plus you know the engine.
But then i can agree with sean, the 2ltr 8v is cracking, so much torque increase and well balanced engine when combined with a good head, ie your ported one.
For out n out ooomph, then a 2ltr 16v first of tho is sourcing a good lump, then a set of cams if you dont get your mits on a ABF. Not hassle to install, but then theres the manifold question, " the real deal ? or a cheaper one "?

Personly, if you can either get a 2ltr 8v your be impressed, A rebuilt 1.8 with head work,manifold,induction work will add just as many smiles.....

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mr.brown »

Or you could just spend £10 and change both gaskets. ;)
Last edited by mr.brown on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 »

I have a 16v kr and although I do like the extra power and have never driven the starndard 8v injection I think I wouldnt have minded the DX lump instead.

However having said that, it wouldnt be Wildrider without the kr so hmm I love it as it is! :mrgreen:
Last edited by bluestreak56 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sidewalkdave

Post by sidewalkdave »

by going from 1.8 8v to a 2l 8v how much power is gained and what would this conversion cost at a guestimate (for a 91 scala)

sorry for the thread being stolen

Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

sidewalkdave wrote:by going from 1.8 8v to a 2l 8v how much power is gained and what would this conversion cost at a guestimate (for a 91 scala)

sorry for the thread being stolen

I think its more about torque than bhp with this...
I think you make about 4 hp?? but a shed more torque!
No figures etc to prove but with some nice mods you should see a difference

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

My BRM GTX, see Avatar, is a 150hp+ rated unit, it was the original DX engine - completely rebuilt, bored out, audi cranked, schrick cam'd plus other treats conversion done back in '91. Beautifully torquey and pulls like a train all the way to the rev limit.

the mk3 golf 8v 2-litre has i think a 115bhp unit but i'd imagine pretty tuneable to at least 130-130 bhp???? see the FAQ section on engines for more.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
filmidget

Post by filmidget »

Blimey, your getting worse then me for changing your mind :whistle:

IMO you have a monster 8v already, so a 16v is the obvious choice... But I think you are planning one of those in something else(?), and this one is just your daily driver, so I reckon find a cheap/decent 2 litre bottom end* and stick that head on with just an injection cam. Nice simple torquey engine for daily grind. Could even stick a 4+e 'box on for nice steady cruising - the 2 litre should mask the gaps between ratios.

* If you can get the dims of the dizzy adapter ring I think I know somebody who can machine one.

'82 GTI 'CagedRoc' - MG Midget - Volvo 850 T5 - Citroen C2 GT - Lilac Trailer Custodian
Current owned:roadworthy factor = 75% (personal record)
The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

filmidget wrote:Blimey, your getting worse then me for changing your mind :whistle:

IMO you have a monster 8v already, so a 16v is the obvious choice... But I think you are planning one of those in something else(?), and this one is just your daily driver, so I reckon find a cheap/decent 2 litre bottom end* and stick that head on with just an injection cam
I know pal :scratch:

yes, 16v once that shell is restored....when.....

Inspected the head and it will need some work, skimming, tappets need looking at etc, so will get it sorted.

Better take Mr. Browns always sound advice for the short term before it goes kaput :focus:

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
KindredSpirit

Post by KindredSpirit »

I've hear that the VR6 engine fits with minimum fuss, but haven't really looked into it.
:shocking: