Buzzing noise from clocks

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Scott1980
fill in the right answer: 15

Buzzing noise from clocks

Post by Scott1980 »

Hi, I wonder if anyone has any insight in to why a loud buzzing noise has started to sound after around 10 minutes of driving coming from behind the clocks. It’s a 1984 gti 1.8 my mechanic has replaced relays and other bits and bobs on the hope of it stopping with no success and tells me he is at the end of his tether with it and can’t work it out and suggested I ask some of you helpful chaps in this forum for advice 😅so no pressure then ha ha. Does anyone have any marvellous ideas on how to stop this Chinese torture. Many thanks.

RussGLAuto

Re: Buzzing noise from clocks

Post by RussGLAuto »

Usually the buzzer sounds for low oil pressure but in conjunction with the red lamp obviously. Could it be a warning lamp is out and all you're hearing is the buzzer?

Either way, proceed with caution...

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White
MRMENDER
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by MRMENDER »

Almost certainly a bad connection to the instrument cluster or a problem with the circuit board that surrounds the binnacle. I managed to get a new board once (old stock) cured it

Aardent

Post by Aardent »

Scott1980 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:13 pm Hi, I wonder if anyone has any insight in to why a loud buzzing noise has started to sound after around 10 minutes of driving coming from behind the clocks. It’s a 1984 gti 1.8 my mechanic has replaced relays and other bits and bobs on the hope of it stopping with no success and tells me he is at the end of his tether with it and can’t work it out and suggested I ask some of you helpful chaps in this forum for advice 😅so no pressure then ha ha. Does anyone have any marvellous ideas on how to stop this Chinese torture. Many thanks.
Just had that horrible buzzing noise sorted on my mk2 GL, oil pressure relating warning sound should be with the oil pressure red light. Changed botj oil pressure switches ( £30) and hasnt come back.

'84 Storm-Cosmos Blue...
'83 GL Single wiper
'90 Merc 500 SEC
plus a couple of daily's
and a few classics on reserve !
Scott1980

Post by Scott1980 »

Wow, thank you very much, Appreciated 😃👍👍👍

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

What grade of oil are you using?

You could try a replace the sensor to see if that helps and check the instrument cluster circuit board but it may be worth getting some sort of gauge to check the oil pressure, the buzzer will only work if the engine goes over 2000 rpm.

A new oil pump is straight forward to fit and a good time to upgrade to a rubber sump seal, just be very careful with the 2 bolts nearest the gearbox as it’s very easy to cross them as they screw into aluminium and the gearbox gets in the way, a lot of people change the 2 bolts to Allen key head bolts and use a ball socket Allen key to screw the bolts in.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Scott1980

Post by Scott1980 »

Marvellous, really appreciate all this information. I’m relating all these helpful tips to the good chap at the garage who has promised to have a look today as it happens. Thank you all agin