MK2 Scirocco B759 MEC

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
jskinner97
fill in the right answer: 15

MK2 Scirocco B759 MEC

Post by jskinner97 »

Hi Guys, Ive gotten myself a bit of a project, From a previous owner. It's one of only 3 known capri blue MK2 Scirocco GT's...

It was laid up a while, so will need a lot of tinkering. Anyhow, Im a ford man, So i've never touched a VW, yet alone the dreaded Pierburg...

A few questions... Presumably the choke flap should be FULLY CLOSED on a cold start? and slowly open up as the car warms up?
Am I missing a spring from the choke mechanism, or did I dream it??

Secondly, am I missing a grommet, The throttle cable seems very slack and doesn't have much "spring" in it. I can't really identify the correct cable route if i'm honest...

Cheers!

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: MK2 Scirocco B759 MEC

Post by mark1gls »

There should be some play in the throttle cable as if it’s to tight when you floor it the J hook on the end of the cable attached to the pedal bends and comes off the pedal and you lose all control of the throttle which is not ideal. To set it up you need to make sure the engine is off, fully open the throttle and check the pedal is on the carpet.

Not up on the Pierburg carb as I switched to the Webber carb many years ago but Yes the flap should be closed and slowly open up when the car warms up, there is a wax stat in the carb which seems to fail as it’s a common problem, google Pierburg carb as same set on Mk1 Golfs as well as Scirocco.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The carb should have a spring on it to pull the throttle up, could be the spring has got weak over time?

Membership No. 323
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

I haven't checked, but I suspect the choke may not be fully closed in warm weather. The choke's vacuum pull-down unit should open the choke by a few millimeters once the engine starts. if you remove the choke body from the mounting frame by undoing the three small screws from its retaining ring, this will reveal the choke's bi-metallic spring, which responds to heat from the coolant flowing trough the choke body as well as a little electric heating coil. The end of the spring hooks over the end of the choke operating lever. There is an engraved line and dot to show the correct orientation when refitting the choke body. Assuming the spring has not been tampered with, you shouldn't need to make any adjustments from this position.

The wax stat controls the throttle idle position during warm up - it works independently of the choke, though also controlled by coolant temperature.

The 2E2 service manual is here:

http://vwa1.dadoghouse.com/wp-content/u ... uction.pdf

Precise settings for individual engines are available here:

https://www.ruddies-berlin.de/Vergaser2E2.htm

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
jskinner97

Post by jskinner97 »

Cheers guys, I've found there to be numerous problems with the rebuild the prev owner carried out, plus some general wear and tear so i've ordered a rebuild kit for the carb to do it myself. I also replaced the fuel pump as this failed.

jskinner97

Post by jskinner97 »

Right, a lot has changed, we now have a weber fitted, and my old 2E2 found a good home for £50.

The car is running sweet as a nut, im just ironing out some electrical gremlins. One odd one that has me stumped... The drivers side side light has 0V. Nothing at all, The Passenger side works. As do both rears (so it's not the fuse suppling that side!) The headlights both work too...

Wiring doesn't seem to be damaged... Any ideas?

essextom

Post by essextom »

id check the wiring between the passenger side and drivers side lights.

mk2daz

Post by mk2daz »

jskinner97 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:49 pm Wiring doesn't seem to be damaged... Any ideas?
Check the pins for corrosion at the bulb connector, and also check for continuity to ground

jskinner97

Post by jskinner97 »

Tonight I measured the voltage on the offending sidelight, A measly 1.2V! Meanwhile the other side works fine. As do all the other lights...

I did find a broken wire, a brown one, on the pass side, bodged it back together but no change. I did notice when I stripped the wire back the majority of my lighting loom is green and corroded! So its likely that the loom itself is nackered and either a poor ground, poor positive or both is causing this issue! I've bought a new upgraded loom on ebay so will fit that and see whats what...

jskinner97

Post by jskinner97 »

Call me really stupid but I cannot figure out how the battery mount is meant to sit, to secure the battery????

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

If found that some car batteries don’t come with a spacer and I’ve had to use a bit of cardboard or even better an old bit of bike tyre inner tube folded over to fit under the clamp along the edge of the battery so it holds the battery down and stops it moving left to right.

The clamp bolts down the same way in the picture in this link, the front edge where the bolt hole is at the headlight end.

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Just seen your picture and that not the right clamp..

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I forgot the link in my last post..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272445390987 ... =28&chn=ps

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Searching the part number throws up a different design???

Fixes like this.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/scir ... -208015/#5

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Is one might work or maybe someone has an old they don’t need?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-MK1- ... Sw6-tbq4Yz

Membership No. 323