Distributor shroud/ cover

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Hilltop

Distributor shroud/ cover

Post by Hilltop »

Hi, I have a metal shroud or cover (Haynes call it a screen) on the distributor cap of my 1980 Mk1. This is earthed by a strap. Anyone knows what it's for and it it needs to be there ?

Thanks.

GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Distributor shroud/ cover

Post by GT_II »

I would think it is fitted to reduce RF interference. Have you every heard an annoying clicking noise coming through your speakers while you were stopped at traffic lights or moving slowly in a traffic jam? That would have been caused by the ignition system of a car close by being inadequately shielded. Whether anyone would be affected by removing the shield on your distrutor I don't know, but I"m guessing removing it would be a breach of the regulations governing electromagnetic interference.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
Hilltop

Post by Hilltop »

Thanks GT II, that's interesting. I guess I should have explained why I asked about this - well I have restored the car over a few years and can't get it to run properly. I was convinced it was the fuel system and by now have renewed most parts - filler neck, tank, pump, filter, metering head, WUR and injectors. Fuel pressures are now correct and it does run better but still there are still flat spots and hesitation over 3-4,000 rpm under load (and rev counter goes haywire). The ignition system seems good (parts are recent) so I'm running out of ideas. I'll remove the screen to see if it makes any difference although I doubt it.

chopperoli

Post by chopperoli »

That problem is more likely to be due to bad grounds

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

My rev counter goes mad between 3000 and 4000 and my car drives fine, I’ve had this problem on 2 different Mk1 Scirocco so the rev counter jumping around might not be your problem..?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
jimmy h
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by jimmy h »

Me too (Rev Counter) :-)