Hood cover for my cabriolet

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
Village Idiots
fill in the right answer: 10

Hood cover for my cabriolet

Post by Village Idiots »

Does anybody know if hood covers (for when the hood is down) are available for early Golf cabriolets (A1 chassis, like our Sciroccos) as I believe the hood on Mk2 Bieber cabriolets is the same.

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Hood cover for my cabriolet

Post by mr.brown »

Tonneau cover is what you need to search for. They pop up on ebay from time to time - there are three listed at the moment but they look like all late ones.

The best place to ask would be over on the Mk1 Golf Parts For Sale group on Facebook or the mk1 Golf owners club forum.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

There is a few types of tonneau covers for the Mk1 Golf cabriolet, very early cars up to 1984 ish had a different cover as the roof sits higher when folded down, I’ve also seen different fixings on the last of the cars compared to my 1988 car.

My 1988 Cabriolet tonneau covers have 2 hooks on the back which slot into the roof tabs near the boot, 2 hooks on elastic to fit near the C pillar, 2 Velcro tabs to tuck underneath the parcel shelf and 2 press studs on the side of the roof/car.

You may need to look if you have any fixings on the Mk2 Scirocco.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Mark,
Thanks for that, there are 3 on e-bay, as Mr Brown says, but risking a couple of hundred pounds on one that might not fit is a risk I don't want to take!
Are you planning to go to the club meet in summer? If you are maybe you could search me out and share some more of your esoteric knowledge of things convertible. I'll have the cabriolet there.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Im possibly going the national meet and possibly in my Mk1 Golf cabriolet just not 100% sure what’s happening yet.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323