Scala Up For Auction with Bonhams

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
daveyheats
fill in the right answer: 15

Scala Up For Auction with Bonhams

Post by daveyheats »

Just seen this Scala in Bonhams upcoming MPH auction later this month. She's a rough old girl, and they've conveniently not highlighted the fact she's done 274,000 miles! If it goes for £4,000 I imagine all mk2 owners will get their insurance valuations updated! ;-)

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26807/lot/100/

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Scala Up For Auction with Bonhams

Post by mark1gls »

Oh my goodness, that's rough, look at the fuel filter... it's gone rusty, you are meant to change them 2 years, 20,000 miles, could be a can of worms with the K-jet fuel system if dirts got into it. Strut top mounts are also shot.
Pictures taken when the car is wet so you can't see how the red paint is....

Lets see what it sells for.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Condition score 32 points out of 95.
If anyone pays more than £500 for that they need a slap.

ThomasD

Post by ThomasD »

For some reason, maybe people locked up for COVID, the price of Sciroccos seems to have gotten insane lately.

This 1986 GT S was sold sometime in the second half of 2020 for £7995, which is a ton of money. That being said, at least from the pictures, the car looks amazing.
https://www.kgfclassiccars.co.uk/vehicles/21294/

Now, a few months later, a new dealer is listing the same car for... wait for it... £15,000!!
https://manorparkclassics.com/1986-volk ... d-edition/

Now maybe it is just this particular dealer, because looking at some of the other VWs on that site, there are really poor quality cars which are being offered as silly prices.

But here is a 1985 car for sale at a US dealer for almost $10,000 USD
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/ca ... 57699.html

See how many faults you can find. BTW, the service book in the photos does not match the car's VIN which is worrying. You would think the selling dealer would notice something like that.

Eight years ago Mr. Brown warned me that the seller was asking too much for the Scirocco I bought and he was right. Given the prices I've seen lately, my car would be a bargain now even correcting for inflation.

From an enthusiast's point of view, I think there is a range we'd like to see these cars in. We don't want them to be too cheap or they end up in scrap yards, but we don't want them too expensive or it prices too many people out of the hobby and people get nervous about using them because they are worth so much, etc. Corrados seem to have moved to that too expensive point (at least in the US). I hope the same doesn't happen with Sciroccos.
Last edited by ThomasD on Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

I think some buyers are willing to pay a premium for classic cars prepared and advertised well by a dealer (or auction) in the often mistaken belief they will be a safer bet than ones offered for sale privately. This may be true for recent cars, for example sold as approved used, but can give a false sense of security for classics. Often better to buy from an enthusiast who has shown commitment to the car by investing time and money over a significant period.

I also think there is a tendency for enthusiasts to undervalue their cars as they understand the ongoing investment needed to maintain them well, and perhaps to be "behind the curve" in assessing value in a rising market.

Keeping a Scirocco is probably never going to be a lucratuve investment, as money needs to be spent, but bought wisely, depreciation is not something we should have to worry about.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

ThomasD wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:43 pm
But here is a 1985 car for sale at a US dealer for almost $10,000 USD
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/ca ... 57699.html

See how many faults you can find. BTW, the service book in the photos does not match the car's VIN which is worrying. You would think the selling dealer would notice something like that.
This is insane, must be a dodgy dealer. A stupid dodgy dealer at that uploading all those underbonnet and underside photos, unless it's so he can say to an unsuspecting buyer when they complain "I showed you how bad it was and you still bought it!"

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
daveyheats

Post by daveyheats »

"Sold for £ 225 inc. premium"

Where on earth did that estimate of £4,000 come from?!

ThomasD

Post by ThomasD »

daveyheats wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:21 pm "Sold for £ 225 inc. premium"

Where on earth did that estimate of £4,000 come from?!
Who knows? I don't know why the seller would bother with an auction house for that car.. maybe they were hoping for £4,000? Why not just sell it on eBay ? They probably would have done better than £225 as a project or parts car.. it's very strange.

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

I imagine they could have made more just weighing it in. Certainly breaking it for parts.

Juraf57

Post by Juraf57 »

mark1gls wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:06 pm Oh my goodness, that's rough, look at the fuel filter... it's gone rusty, you are meant to change them 2 years, 20,000 miles Carton déménagement double cannelure, could be a can of worms with the K-jet fuel system if dirts got into it. Strut top mounts are also shot.
Pictures taken when the car is wet so you can't see how the red paint is....

Lets see what it sells for.
Normally the filter should be changed after 50,000 km. It's safer I think.