MK2 Scala restoration what to do next...?

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.

Which route should I take

Keep the car original as possible, future classic
75%
Update/upgrade and make look awesome
25%

Total votes: 8

daveyheats
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: MK2 Scala restoration what to do next...?

Post by daveyheats »

On a side note mate, did your Scala come with those mud flaps, or did you buy them? I'm after a set if you can recommend anywhere to buy a set.

frlrubett

Post by frlrubett »

daveyheats wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:41 am On a side note mate, did your Scala come with those mud flaps, or did you buy them? I'm after a set if you can recommend anywhere to buy a set.
Thanks for that link to the plug.

I really dislike those mud flaps (I think its the blue VW logo that does it for me) and was considering removing them if it didnt involve taking the skirts off. Would you be interested?

daveyheats

Post by daveyheats »

frlrubett wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:48 pm
daveyheats wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:41 am On a side note mate, did your Scala come with those mud flaps, or did you buy them? I'm after a set if you can recommend anywhere to buy a set.
I really dislike those mud flaps (I think its the blue VW logo that does it for me) and was considering removing them if it didnt involve taking the skirts off. Would you be interested?
Definitely interested chap yeah, keep me posted.

frlrubett

Post by frlrubett »

daveyheats wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:08 pm
frlrubett wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:48 pm
Definitely interested chap yeah, keep me posted.
Gunna have a look to see how easily they come off. You got any spare parts, would be up for a swap?

daveyheats

Post by daveyheats »

Don't really have much in the way of spares at the moment mate, as I've only had my Scala a couple of months, and most of what I've replaced has only been fit for the bin! Would be interested in buying them off you though potentially if that works for you instead.

frlrubett

Post by frlrubett »

daveyheats wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:08 pm Don't really have much in the way of spares at the moment mate, as I've only had my Scala a couple of months, and most of what I've replaced has only been fit for the bin! Would be interested in buying them off you though potentially if that works for you instead.
Cool, will have a look at them. Then send you a message.

frlrubett

Post by frlrubett »

frlrubett wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:12 pm
daveyheats wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:08 pm Don't really have much in the way of spares at the moment mate, as I've only had my Scala a couple of months, and most of what I've replaced has only been fit for the bin! Would be interested in buying them off you though potentially if that works for you instead.
Cool, will have a look at them. Then send you a message.
So yeah, the mud flaps look pretty easy to remove. I have a load of other things to get done today and then it got dark so will take them off next week.

frlrubett

Post by frlrubett »

Quick update...

Pin stripe rear lights, louvres, old style number plate... needs a good clean but really pleased with result and loving the silver once again!

Here is the front, refurbished the front grill. Replaced the broken indicators with clear ones. To do, bumper (drooping). Since this pic was taken have removed all the lights and cleaned the inside glass so its sparking and changed the number plate to old style.

Next.... tow loops - can they be just taken off with angle grinder?

Still deliberating the lowering springs/coil overs option. Then it goes to the body shop for a touch up.

Finally, I have new dash arriving soon and I am in talks with an upholstery company about retrimming the seats in Porsche Houndstooth and Leather.

Watch this space!

Village Idiots
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Village Idiots »

If the worst happens and you need to get a recovery, the recovery driver won't be best pleased if there's nowhere to connect his winch.

frlrubett

Post by frlrubett »

Village Idiots wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:39 am If the worst happens and you need to get a recovery, the recovery driver won't be best pleased if there's nowhere to connect his winch.
This has been known to happen.... could they pull from the rear?