Body panels

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
Jimmybuck
fill in the right answer: 15

Body panels

Post by Jimmybuck »

I'm jim I'm new to the whole vw world and forums . I recently acquired a 1988 scirocco and really am looking forward to getting it back on the road (somestage) . At close inspection the sills seem gone at the back wheels . Had a nosey online to see if sills are available but had no luck . Maybe someone has more sites to look at or the knowledge of what else fits . Appreciate any help anyone can give

MRMENDER
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Body panels

Post by MRMENDER »

Welcome to the forum.
Yes most body panels and repair sectioms are avilable from VW heritage https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/ ... anels.html
Rear wheel arch repair panels are avilable from a forum member who gets a limited number made.
Good luck with getting it back on the road. Plenty of help on here :)

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Scirocco!
Have a close look at where the rear sub frame mounts to the body, an area which does suffer from corrosion and obviously needs care to replace to maintain the integrity of the structure and keep the wheels in line. As Mr M says above parts are available and always lots of help on here.

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

Jimmybuck wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:44 am I'm jim I'm new to the whole vw world and forums . I recently acquired a 1988 scirocco and really am looking forward to getting it back on the road (somestage) . At close inspection the sills seem gone at the back wheels . Had a nosey online to see if sills are available but had no luck . Maybe someone has more sites to look at or the knowledge of what else fits . Appreciate any help anyone can give

I have a set of rear arch repair panels coming in around January.

If intrested send me an email at scirocco53@ziggo.nl and I will let you know when thet are in.

Joost

Jimmybuck

Post by Jimmybuck »

Thanks for the help i got the axle dropped out with only 3 studs snapping so will need to see how to fix that dropped the tank so the back end is out and on the ground. Problem I have is I've never done bodywork so its proving stressful . Altho ill give it a go whats the worst can happen . Also found a pic of the car on here from 10 years ago

Village Idiots

Post by Village Idiots »

You can access the top of the studs from inside the car.
There is, I think, a bit of tape covering an access hole in the rear arch box section where the axle is bolted on.
Replacing any of this is critical to getting the back axle in the correct location.
Too late now! But it is best to apply lots of easing oil before attempting to undo the nuts on the studs. Also heat is useful.
Now you've gone so far, make sure the area where the axle bolts on is really structurally strong and give the inside of the box section plenty of anti corrosion treatment to avoid trouble in the future,

Jimmybuck

Post by Jimmybuck »

Had them soaking in penetrating oil for about a week but the car has been sitting for years and is very low on coilovers so the elements had taken there toll ill have a look at were you said and have my fingers crossed gives me a bit of time to tidy the axle and change the bushes and treat the rear end . But again thanks for the info . Any recommendations on beam bushes?