3D printing and Scirocco parts?

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
PeteGLi
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 3D printing and Scirocco parts?

Post by PeteGLi »

mark1gls wrote:How about the seat runner clips that fit to the seat on a Mk1? The Mk1 golf ones are different as you can see in the pictures.

And also the clip that the centre runner slides on.

Winston

Post by Winston »

Early bumper end caps?

Some great suggestions so far guys!

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mr.brown »

Winston wrote:Early bumper end caps?
Probably beyond the capability of most small-scale 3D printers. However, there's definitely a market for moulded ABS replicas of:

Chrome bumper end caps
Arch spats
Mk1 two-piece front spoiler

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Right Fellas, update.

A bit of a mixed bag today, I collected 5 of the prototype boomerang trim clips and discussed further with the lad who's been assisting me with this.
The clips are astonishing considering they have been printed, I've just taken some photo's but the quality of photo (due to the size of component) did not do them justice, and uploading to photobucket and on here would have been a waste of my time - I'll try again tomorrow.

Unfortunately the first one I tried on an old 'B trim (pushing it in) it broke into 3 bits. The prototypes are printed from ABS, and now I know why Laurence stressed 'to be printed in Nylon'. Method in my madness; I wanted to be sure that the CAD file could be printed first (and) with the medium they are comfortable with first, and do some trials and evaluate slowly...

If it can be printed in Nylon? It might be whole new ball game, I'll have to talk to them - anything is achievable if you put your mind and to it.

The pin that goes through? they say they can print that too! But, I'm having one of them Colin Chapman moments where I'm thinking is the pin really needed?
The fundamental function of the clip is to fix the trim to the car, yet be removable, and re-attached. Another thing about the pin, I think it maybe slightly tapered to spread the base of the clip..
This reverse engineering stuff really does give you a good idea what was going through a VW engineers head when he was given the task of making that clip 40 years ago - without this technology! I need to do a bit more thinking about the way forward on this.

As for other parts, the chap said: 'If you can get original parts of what is required, we can do CAD files of them, then print, we need to keep the apprentices busy! We are really keen to get into this stuff'..

If anyone has one of the MK1 front seat guide (spacer) thingy intact or in bits that Mark is alluding to above, PM me, I reckon that would easily achievable.
Or anything else? Hold on about anything thing which requires a certain amount of elasticity (clip type things) until I know more about printing in Nylon etc..

Concorde, the Space Shuttle etc were not tripped up at the first hurdle...

james butler

Post by james butler »

what about the carb to manifold gasket/flange thing that keeps splitting because its made of crappy rubber?
if you could make one from some kind of high temperature plastic?

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
james butler

Post by james butler »

and the embossed center caps for avus (snowflake) alloys

bengould

Post by bengould »

james butler wrote:what about the carb to manifold gasket/flange thing that keeps splitting because its made of crappy rubber?
I made one from a solid block of aluminium before I swapped my engine over.

Even found a Pic. :-). That is a slightly different manifold, but the fitment is the same.

Piece of old inner tube above and below will give a good seal and help stop the heat soaking through to the carb.

Ben

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

james butler wrote:what about the carb to manifold gasket/flange thing that keeps splitting because its made of crappy rubber?
I thought I'd seen someone make one from aluminium?
Check that the air box has it's front support fitted correctly and the carb is not putting stain on the carb flange, I've only ever bought one when I fitted my webber in 1997 and it's still on the car and OK, perhaps the newer ones are poorer quality?

Edit Just spotted the post at the same time as me....

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
bengould

Post by bengould »

The lack of front airbox support is the biggest problem for the rubber gasket. Also if a weber carb is fitted you need to extend the
mount slightly because the weber adapter makes the carb & airbox sit slightly higher. I think the weber fitting kit has a little adapter in it,
I ended up just welding a small piece of metal onto the top of the bracket.

Ben.

james butler

Post by james butler »

Cheers bengould,
I also have one made of aluminuim but the inner tube gasket sounds a crackin idea will give that a go.
The rubber ones are crap tho I had my last one go with s pancake filter on it so nothing pulling it over and it still split.
Hence why I have the aluminuim one and never had it split since!
Thought a plastic version would be better tho for cheaper manufacture?

dozzum

Post by dozzum »

bengould wrote:The lack of front airbox support is the biggest problem for the rubber gasket. Also if a weber carb is fitted you need to extend the
mount slightly because the weber adapter makes the carb & airbox sit slightly higher. I think the weber fitting kit has a little adapter in it,
I ended up just welding a small piece of metal onto the top of the bracket.

Ben.

I made this point to someone on the facebook group awhile ago and he went off on one, just couldn't understand the simple physics behind it...

Even with a pancake filter I think the problem will still be there as there is no physical support for the weight of the carb rocking around other than the rubber gasket.

Nice to see I wasn't making things up and someone else agrees.

dozzum

Post by dozzum »

Anyway, back on topic.

The workshops at my work have a CNC milling machine and they may be up for making some parts if the CAD file was provided.

Would need to try and sweet talk them obviously but if anyone can think of any parts and get me a CAD file I can ask the question.

bengould

Post by bengould »

dozzum wrote:
Nice to see I wasn't making things up and someone else agrees.
I agree because its true. :-). VW put that bracket on there for a reason.

A Weber/Pierburg carb is a 3Kg lump of alloy that vibrates and rocks around with cornering, acceleration and breaking. There is NO WAY the rubber can carry its weight on its own. That coupled with the poor design of the rubber mount it just can't do the job on its own.

Ben.

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

RE Boomerang Trim Clips.
Just waiting to hear from my contact who was going to 'try to do it another way'.
I met another chap yesterday, who is a MK1 owner, who's day job is 3D modelling and rapid prototyping, he's very willing to help - and very knowledgeable in this field!!

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Bumping this up, Facebook question has popped up from dozzum.

Serial Rocco-ist.........