3D printing and Scirocco parts?

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

3D printing and Scirocco parts?

Post by mr.brown »

Just spied a thread on Vortex where a chap made mk2 parcel shelf clip replicas and was wondering what else could be made.

Mk2 parcel shelf clips
Mk1 parcel shelf clips
Mk1 parcel shelf stays
Mk1 parcel shelf arms
Mk2 sill trim clips

Badges even?

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 3D printing and Scirocco parts?

Post by GTXTRA »

Inner lamp adjusters, differ to ones on the main lamps.

Rear seat pivot clips

cl grille spats.................. doable???

Serial Rocco-ist.........
1lazza

Post by 1lazza »

What a coincidence. A mate of mine has modelled up some replacement (unobtanium) clips for the Mk1 rear Q window trims for me (body colour parts around the top and rear edge of the glass)

I didn't get them printed as I had enough bits to get mine back on, but happy to supply the CAD for non Commercial use - design is hopefully improved compared with original, but untested...Would need to be made in nylon for best performance.

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mr.brown »

Can't believe I didn't think of headlight adjuster clips.

Arch spats would probably be too big for a home printer. It might be the kind of thing that's better off made with a mould.

@1lazza - I can't recall what mk1 clips you mean? I thought there was just chrome trim around the rear side glass?

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

mr.brown wrote:Can't believe I didn't think of headlight adjuster clips.

Arch spats would probably be too big for a home printer. It might be the kind of thing that's better off made with a mould.

@1lazza - I can't recall what mk1 clips you mean? I thought there was just chrome trim around the rear side glass?
I'm fairly certain he is referring to the black plastic clips that hold the 'boomerang trim' on above the rear quarter glass - very obsolete indeed!

@1lazza - I'd be interested in more info on this.

1lazza

Post by 1lazza »

clip.jpg
Indeed, the black clips that hold on the body colour boomerang shaped trims. I have an STL file for this at 1mb. Happy to share for non profit use only if PM'ed.
No guarantees though, I have not printed any myself yet. :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Am sure it won't be too long before some sort of 'group buy' - or maybe a club collective of the various vw clubs - will be viable.

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Sean, Lazza, Mr Brown.

I'm on it. I attended a lecture at work 12 months ago about 3D printing / reverse engineering - knowing this was the future for Rocco enthusiasts / classic car dudes.
Amazing news Lazza, thanks for posting, I'm fairly certain I should be able to find someone who can produce this, if not I'll make it my mission!
Lazza PM on its way!

Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Plastic clips that hold the black trim over the door sills and carpet. If anyone has ever had to remove these to run wiring or get the carpet out, you will likely have found broken clips or broken a few getting the trim off.

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

1lazza wrote:
clip.jpg
Indeed, the black clips that hold on the body colour boomerang shaped trims. I have an STL file for this at 1mb. Happy to share for non profit use only if PM'ed.
No guarantees though, I have not printed any myself yet. :P
An Interesting week. The first prototype of the above has been printed today!!! Hold on folks I've not seen it yet, I've corresponded only by e-mail, yet I'm going for a meeting at the printers next week to collect the first off and discuss further. I'll then assess the clip with an old boomerang trim I have to make sure all is OK before moving forward and printing a larger batch.

I've explained to the company that I may have more work / ideas to evaluate, and they are more than happy to help.

Many many thanks to Laurence (1Lazza) - I'll e-mail you next week when I know more..

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The problem I had with these clips was losing the middle pin when pushing them through to remove the clip, I managed to catch a couple but some where impossible to get your hand any where near.
Are the new clips going to come with the centre pin?

Clip with an original pin and my home made one from a sort of raw plug I found in my parents garage.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

The Pin is the very least of my worries, not sourced it yet, but It's only a 4.5mm dia plastic dowel, I've had a quick scan on RS on line and e bay and there is plenty.
It'll only need cutting to length and that won't be hard either.
I'm holding on about sorting this until I've seen the printed article and spoke to the firm, maybe they have some ideas. The dowel is a piece of cake, the clip is the tricky part!

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Great stuff.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

How about the seat runner clips that fit to the seat on a Mk1? The Mk1 golf ones are different as you can see in the pictures.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
1lazza

Post by 1lazza »

It will be good to have the feedback Jim - Shouldn't be a problem getting the CAD updated as required to improve if needed. Please let me know how it goes. Brilliant you've moved this on!

Laurence