tyre rubbing problem, not sure what to do

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Yolandi2
fill in the right answer: 15

tyre rubbing problem, not sure what to do

Post by Yolandi2 »

hi guys, so ive been running 185/55/15 tyres all round without problems for a while.
i wanted to level out the suspension a little because it always rode a little higher in the front, so i cut a little off the front springs, this caused the front tyres to rub on the top of the arch when going over bumps and when you turn (the car would lean over and touch the top of the tyre)
so i put a a pair of new springs on but its still rubbing in the same way, how is this happening??

1990 mk2 GT2
unknownmale

Re: tyre rubbing problem, not sure what to do

Post by unknownmale »

What springs and what wheels?

- David
sciroccas

Post by sciroccas »

Hi, yolandi2, that's because your suspension is too soft. If you want to ride low and do not rub arches the best way to go is to install adjustable coilovers. Also you shoud check your shock absorbers, maybe they need to be replaced.

Yolandi2

Post by Yolandi2 »

15 inch 3 spoke alloys, I believe 7j and 35mm offset, stock springs all round

im not trying to lower it I was just playing around with the springs because they needed changing anyway, but I don't understand why they still rub with new springs, I remember both from struts had oil on them when I changed the springs over but I wasn't sure if theyre from the shocks or something else (ive had quite a few oil leaks lately)
ive ordered new shocks now

1990 mk2 GT2
blakey
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by blakey »

Are the bumpstops fitted? Item 5 in the link below:

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/scir ... 11-102000/

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Camber angle out?
You need to set it up again when you dismantle the strut, don’t go on marks made to the strut use a camber gauge.

Not good practice cutting springs best to buy lowering springs etc if lowering car.

I used some lowering spring cups on my car which have about a 10mm drop with out losing any spring movement.

See last post here.....

http://forum.sciroccoregister.co.uk/vie ... 9&start=75

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Yolandi2

Post by Yolandi2 »

bumpstops currently arnt fitted I removed them when I changed the springs because they were pretty knackered, new ones are on order tho, I ordered new ones when I changed the springs also

camber I set by eye, currently set slightly in, steering feels fine with it, was going to get the camber set properly once the new shocks and bumpstops arrived seeing as I have to take the stuts apart again anyway

1990 mk2 GT2