Wheel spacers

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
alscoob
fill in the right answer: 10

Wheel spacers

Post by alscoob »

'91 Scala with the Avus / 'snowflake' 6x14" wheels, always thought that the rears sit well inside the arches & could do with being wider, but don't want at this stage to change the wheels. Question is can I use spacers on the rear? anyone done it and what size would anyone suggest.

Don't want to go mad but thought that maybe 15mm would be OK?

Thoughts, thanks.

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Wheel spacers

Post by ianaudia4 »

If you are going to do this then I would suggest you buy a good quality hubcentric spacer, not a cheapy from Ebay.
I did have 9.5mm on my Storm at one stage, and I also had to buy longer wheel bolts.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
alscoob

Post by alscoob »

Thanks, yes agree would always use the hubcentric just the width I was curious about. Last one I used had bolts to secure the spacers then you used the standard wheel bolts.

Nate

Post by Nate »

depends how thick the spacer is- they need to be thick enuf for the bolts to screw in. if you were only going for 5 or 10mm they it'd just be longer bolts. don't forget that if you do fit longer bolts, make sure they don't stick any further into the drum than the originals, or you might damage the brake gubbins

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
alscoob

Post by alscoob »

Anyone have a set up with spacers ?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I don't run spacers (did have 6mm on the front of the mk1 with longer bolts).

I'm pretty sure that you will be hard pressed to find any spacers that bolt directly to the hub then use your original bolts to attach the wheels to the spacer that will be under 20mm for the reasons mentioned above - that would give you an ET of 18 with the snowflakes...

Best thing to do is get a piece of stiff card 20mm - and see if it fits between the tyre/wheel and the arch...

Otherwise your looking at longer bolts.
As mentioned hubcentric is the way forward in any case.

Octavia elegance kombi TDI