BBS RJ 14”

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
WreckTangle
fill in the right answer: 15

BBS RJ 14”

Post by WreckTangle »

My 1991 GT2 is currently fitted with rather boring, badly painted 14” snowflake wheels shod with nearly new Pirelli 185/60 R14 tyres. I am using the correct length (23.5mm) radius type wheel bolts which I bought new when I got the car since it came with a mixture of radius and conical bolts.

When I get the car out of hibernation in the spring I should like to fit one of my two sets of BBS RJ wheels. These are as follows:

RJ 423 6 x 14 ET 35 currently bare wheels

RJ 358 6 x 14 ET 33 (KBA 41175) currently fitted with serviceable 185/55 R14 tyres

I’m thinking that either way I shall either need new tyres or need the Pirellis transferred. Has anyone tried 55 profile tyres on a Scirocco? I’m guessing they’d be too small.

The 423s were originally from an Opel car but have been reamed out from their original 56.5 centre bore to the 57.0 necessary for a VW. The 358s were an original VAG option for a MK1 Golf but also listed for the Scirocco.

Everything is screaming to me to use the 358s but I wonder whether the increased 5mm offset will be too much. Would I be better off with the 35mm offset? It is less of a change from the stock ET38.

Also, does anyone know exactly what wheel nuts are needed for these wheels? I think the BBS part number is 0923037 for both which is an M12X1.5X26 60°conical seat bolt. Is that correct for the 358s? I had at the back of my mind the VAG option alloys used radius seat bolts like the original steel wheels.

Any thoughts or pearls of wisdom gratefully received. Thank you.

Kdc169
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: BBS RJ 14”

Post by Kdc169 »

you could try some marker blue and check the contact with radial and cone bolts see which gives best hold/contact..

ive got some original vw workshop info on my phone ill share pics when i upload them to host site