Mk1 Storm rear seat removal

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
theboysmiffy

Mk1 Storm rear seat removal

Post by theboysmiffy »

Hi all, hope everyone is safe and well. Just doing a bit of spannering on the old Rocco and have hit an unforeseen stumbling block!

I can’t remove the one piece rear backrest.

I have the base out easily enough but the back is driving me mad. It’s a ‘79 Storm without the split rear seat. It feels like the passenger side connection is slightly different in that there is a gap I can get my finger in and what feels like a plastic tab that I can push slightly but it doesn’t seem to release the pin. It’s so tight that photos are literally impossible.

Has anyone had any success removing this type of backrest?

Thanks

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Mk1 Storm rear seat removal

Post by mr.brown »

All mk1 backrests are the same - no split type that I've ever seen.

I'm going from memory since it's been a while since I've seen any of my mk1s.

There should be a "pull tab" - a loop of flexible plasticky material on the passenger side at the top of the backrest (number 6 in the picture). Pull that and the two hooks detach from the bodywork to fold it down.

Once folded down you'll see the pins either side. On one side there should be a plastic U clip surrounding the pin (number 2). Use a flat screwdriver to gently prise open the clip and pull the pin straight up. Then just slide the backrest across to get the other pin out.
Screenshot 2020-05-24 at 20.27.06.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

theboysmiffy

Post by theboysmiffy »

Thanks for the reply. So is the u-clip number 2 in the diagram? Looking from above the pins are kind of hidden by a stuck on vinyl cover over that area that might be peculiar to the Storm.

theboysmiffy

Post by theboysmiffy »

All sorted. The clip (number 2) needs to be opened then the pin can be dropped down and out. The other end then slides out. Cheers