Water leaks into the Boot, mk 2 Scirocco

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Jerry Atric
fill in the right answer: 15

Water leaks into the Boot, mk 2 Scirocco

Post by Jerry Atric »

Ok Guys time to pester you for any information or ideas as to where I am getting a sizeable rain water leak into the boot of my car.

It is coming down the C pillars either side and then running down past the light units and into the boot. I have sealed up the sunroof with tape as my initial thought was that the rear drain pipes for the roof might be the problem. So it's not them for sure.

I'm sure its not the rear light units either as the water is coming from the body on both sides above the light units . A lot of water is getting in and to try and at least catch some of it , I have put cloths up into the sides of the car and then lead them down into ice cream containers to catch the bulk of the water.

I have also checked the mounting for the boot struts and they seem to be ok , checked by pouring water over the mounting and noting no water entering the car rear that way . Same for the tailgate mounting hinges.

Is it possible that the tailgate glass seal could be letting water in , altho not quite sure how it could get inside the C pillar from there ?

Any ideas /suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

(Have tried to post a picture of the problem but despite making a simple phone picture smaller, I get an message saying the file is too big. No idea how to reduce a file for this site )

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Water leaks into the Boot, mk 2 Scirocco

Post by mark1gls »

If you get the tapatalk app for you phone you can log in to Scirocco register and post the pictures and post on here using the app.

I find it easier to post messages via my iPad and only use tapatalk to post pics...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Ttechnics

Post by Ttechnics »

Jerry Atric wrote:Ok Guys time to pester you for any information or ideas as to where I am getting a sizeable rain water leak into the boot of my car.

It is coming down the C pillars either side and then running down past the light units and into the boot. I have sealed up the sunroof with tape as my initial thought was that the rear drain pipes for the roof might be the problem. So it's not them for sure.

I'm sure its not the rear light units either as the water is coming from the body on both sides above the light units . A lot of water is getting in and to try and at least catch some of it , I have put cloths up into the sides of the car and then lead them down into ice cream containers to catch the bulk of the water.

I have also checked the mounting for the boot struts and they seem to be ok , checked by pouring water over the mounting and noting no water entering the car rear that way . Same for the tailgate mounting hinges.

Is it possible that the tailgate glass seal could be letting water in , altho not quite sure how it could get inside the C pillar from there ?

Any ideas /suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

(Have tried to post a picture of the problem but despite making a simple phone picture smaller, I get an message saying the file is too big. No idea how to reduce a file for this site )
The rubber ring around the lock on the boot lid leaks, have a looks at that.
It sounds like you have other leaky bits also, but that rubber ring deffo leaks and are available and replaceable easy enough because I've done it personally.
Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Thanks Mark and Ttechnics. Definitely not the lock area, water only coming in from higher than the boot edge and at either side from the area which comes down from the roof ( C pillar ) Thats why I was certain it must be the sunroof, but thats now sealed .....

To be honest, this past few months I've seen more rain than for a whole year normally , torrential. but nevertheless, the car should be waterproof.

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Rear washer jet gasket?

Cleaned any leaves etc from out of the rear hatch around hinge area?

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Whole hatch area is as clean as a whistle, leaks are coming from both sides so not the washer jet gasket.

I peeled up the boot/hatch inner rubber seal yesterday and it looks like it might be as simple as some corrosion around both lower corners of the where the boot seal sits. However, not such a simple repair job if its going to be done properly. i.e. cut out the rusty bits and replace/re-build with new section.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

essextom

Post by essextom »

id check the boot gas strut attachments to the body, mine was leaking through there.

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Another common water entry point is between the spoiler and tailgate. There are a handful of foam gaskets between the spoiler and the tailgate - see parts 6 and 7 in the attached diagram.

These can go brittle and disintegrate or simply lose shape with age and water gets in through there and rusts the tailgate from the inside out.

Remove the spoiler, clean all the mating surfaces and use some kind of non-adhesive sealant around the holes.

Also remove the number plate lights and check the bulb holders for corrosion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chopperoli

Post by chopperoli »

Agreed, I had that exact problem and was able to recreate the original gaskets from a sheet of closed cell foam, 2mm I think it was

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Could it be a problem with the pipe that delivers the water to the rear window?
Can’t think of anything else it could be...

I mentioned this because on my old 6N polo, the pipe disconnected at a joint and used to flood the rear footwell. If the pipes split near to the nozzle it could explain why there’s water present. I used my polo as a daily driver.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps. Right now the car is in the final stages of being re-commisioned, I'm hoping just a front exhaust pipe to fit which is hopefully coming in from Germany next week, a final timing check and then off for a MOT. Once that is done, the car can come home and I can really get down to investigating the water ingress.
At the moment, the car is in my kind mechanics lock up part of his workshop so is drying out nicely. I may have to kick my immaculate Mk 2 GTI Golf from my garage and let the Scirocco enjoy some shelter until I get the leaks sorted. Will report back when I finally find out where the water was getting in....

RoccoJimbo

Post by RoccoJimbo »

Try the area that runs the rear wiper motor wiring through from the c-pillar to tailgate. The wiring should run through a rubber boot. If possible peel back the grommet ends & check for corrosion either to the c-pillar or to the tailgate.
Rear gas struts as has been previously mentioned, also
where the tailgate badges fit are known to leak into boot also. Badge clips can still be purchased I believe.
What condition is your boot rubber in? These are known to split or perish & leak water into the boot area. I fitted a pattern replacement & they are a good fit...
Hope you find your leak

1990 Tornado Red Scala.
PeterKosho

Post by PeterKosho »

Finally the winter rains have come in California and unfortunately I haven't figured out where the water is coming into the boot (aka trunk) on the left side (driver's side over here) just behind the left rear wheel of my 1986 8=valve. Forms a big puddle in the little approx 6x6 flat panel just behind the wheel and then pores into the bottom of the boot. Lots of water every time it rains.

The sun roof is permanently sealed with tape and Bondo and paint so it's not coming down the sunroof drain lines. I have tried spraying the outside of the car but cannot get any water inside that way. Somehow hours and hours of soaking seems to be required. No leaks around the rear light enclosures or window wiper housing or lock or spoiler.

More much needed rains is forecast in the next couple weeks so if you have any ideas please share them!

Thanks so much

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Did you check the tube that delivers the water to the reader windo

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.