Tech Tip--ignition lock shroud

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Nuckleduster
fill in the right answer: 15

Tech Tip--ignition lock shroud

Post by Nuckleduster »

Hi All,
If you are struggling to fix your shroud back together because the screw fixings are knackered inthe upper section, then this solution may help.
If the small vertical tabs are not busted then put the shroud back together around the lock and temp bind it together withelectrical tape.
Take a small panel pin and heat it up in a blow lamp and push it through the lower housing where the tab is and through the tab. Withdrawl quickly.repeat if required on other tabs then find a slightly thicker panel pin--the ones on small electrical cable clips are ideal. Trim lengthto about 4mm and push into hole or holes made with hot pin.The head can have a dob of black paint put on it and the repair is invisible--dont forget to remove the elactrical tape.
I came up with this after an attempted theft of car and the idiots broke the screw housings in the upper shroud.
Gerry

91 Scirocco Scala 1.8 inj rolling shell gone but not forgotten
90 Scirocco Scala 1.8 inj Colour Dark Metalic Green daily ride
Vw MK4 Golf Estate @180bhp Daily working car--Silver
94 Corrado 2.9 VR6 Metalic purple--gone to Manchester--
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Tech Tip--ignition lock shroud

Post by mark1gls »

Good idea and thanks for sharing this. :good:

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Nuckleduster
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Tech Tip--ignition lock shroud--another one

Post by Nuckleduster »

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply--owning and maintaining scirocco`s for 21 years I have found spares at times hard to impossible to find--here is another one--if the rubber on the accelerator pedal goes rotten as they usually do then a suitable replacement can be fasioned from a standard 1" TO 1,25" hard rubber door stop--did it as a temp measure which lasted 10 years until I scrapped the car--all you need is a little patience and a sharp Stanley knife. I have now seen them somewher for sale.
Best Wishes Gerry

91 Scirocco Scala 1.8 inj rolling shell gone but not forgotten
90 Scirocco Scala 1.8 inj Colour Dark Metalic Green daily ride
Vw MK4 Golf Estate @180bhp Daily working car--Silver
94 Corrado 2.9 VR6 Metalic purple--gone to Manchester--
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Tech Tip--ignition lock shroud

Post by mark1gls »

Mk2 golf rubber bush is what you want as they are harder and last a lot longer. GSF used to sell them for all of 56p when I last bought mine a couple of years ago. :-D

Just looked and I think they have stopped selling them....

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323