Saggy bumper, crash damage?

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
frlrubett
fill in the right answer: 15

Saggy bumper, crash damage?

Post by frlrubett »

Had a saggy bumper for as long as I have had the car and because its an easy fix, never bothered to do it. Decided to loosen the bolts today and get it sorted. Nothing I tried could get the right hand side of the bumper to sit flush with the headlights so I ended up removing the bumper completely to have a look.

This is what I found.

https://ibb.co/XtxLHhM

The metal behind is bent and its not pushing the bumper plastic correctly up which is causes this issue. New bumper of could someone recommend a fix?

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Saggy bumper, crash damage?

Post by mark1gls »

You can remove the metal part of the bumper from the plastic cover if it’s easier to bash it with a bigger hammer than in your picture to get it back into shape or you may need a new/old bumper which is straight, you may find your plastic is cover is better or worse than a new/old one so worth holding onto for the moment.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
frlrubett

Post by frlrubett »

mark1gls wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:54 pm You can remove the metal part of the bumper from the plastic cover if it’s easier to bash it with a bigger hammer than in your picture to get it back into shape or you may need a new/old bumper which is straight, you may find your plastic is cover is better or worse than a new/old one so worth holding onto for the moment.
Isn't removing the plastic bit a dog of a job?

Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

is the metal rotten? thats the hard part to find.

the way plastic is held on is with wedges, remove wedges and the compress tabs the plastic will come away from the iron/steel. try a bit of hot air to soften them as they will be brittle. I got a better steel/iron from joost.. reattached all parts hot glued areas where tabs was damaged. now i need to paint.. if i ever get round to it.

frlrubett

Post by frlrubett »

The metal is good, I have just read one of there guides to removal on here. Every time I solve a problem a new one arises, so this is on the never ending list!

Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

If it was me I would wait until we get a nice hot sunny day as it will be easier to squash the plastic tabs to remove the plastic cover.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
DannyH

Post by DannyH »

I have to admire your optimism Mark!

Danny
Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

DannyH wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:01 pm I have to admire your optimism Mark!
lol yes defo need more sun than feb/march heat gun or boiling water maybe. sadly it brittle, its 30yr old plastic... it may end up in oceans and land fills, but only crumbles to smaller parts.

frlrubett

Post by frlrubett »

And I wake up to snow today.... brilliant.

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

One problem at a time, that’s the vw way :dash:

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.