dreaded c-clip bossed

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
81GTi
fill in the right answer: 10

dreaded c-clip bossed

Post by 81GTi »

I got mine off with a pry bar and judging by the boing I knew they would be bloody difficult to get
back on, but it was a doddle, just reversed the nuts and brackets on a 50mm(2") exhaust bracket
as in pic and place it inside the c-clip and there is just enough thread to stretch the clip wide enough
to re-fit and just enough clearance for it to slide out once fitted.

Nate

Re: dreaded c-clip bossed

Post by Nate »

whilst i'm sure with someone other than me holding the spanner it'd be fine, i get nervous due to the amount of tension they are under. there's not a lot to stop the one end slipping off. i prefer the loop of rope 18" long and a stout length of timber to pull the clip down. leaves your hands long way away from the clips too :)

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Nate wrote:whilst i'm sure with someone other than me holding the spanner it'd be fine, i get nervous due to the amount of tension they are under. there's not a lot to stop the one end slipping off. i prefer the loop of rope 18" long and a stout length of timber to pull the clip down. leaves your hands long way away from the clips too :)
Kinda similar to what you mentioned dude, a friend of mine worked in a garage where their answer to replacing them was to use a bit of rope but with a loop on the end for your foot. Obviously using your weight to make the clips fit. Cant imagine that was too successfull tho...

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
81GTi

Post by 81GTi »

Nate wrote:whilst i'm sure with someone other than me holding the spanner it'd be fine, i get nervous due to the amount of tension they are under. there's not a lot to stop the one end slipping off. i prefer the loop of rope 18" long and a stout length of timber to pull the clip down. leaves your hands long way away from the clips too :)

funnily similar reply you made in the previous forum so i will reply the same... your words are spoken by somone who has never tried it, next time give it a go as it is simples.

Nate

Post by Nate »

but using a length of rope i can get both of them on literally in seconds. i'll freely admit we're never gonna have everyone agreeing on this :hugegrin:

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
richlyons

Post by richlyons »

81GTi wrote:I got mine off with a pry bar and judging by the boing I knew they would be bloody difficult to get
back on, but it was a doddle, just reversed the nuts and brackets on a 50mm(2") exhaust bracket
as in pic and place it inside the c-clip and there is just enough thread to stretch the clip wide enough
to re-fit and just enough clearance for it to slide out once fitted.
i might be a bit slow here but how do you get them on with a exhaust bracket? :dunno:
i need to do mine back up soon :(

1988 helios blue scala, weber carb, gti cam,
1989 red gt2 (daily)
DannyH

Post by DannyH »

Can vouch for this exhaust bracket thing, worked for my mate when he did mine and the garage i use was impressed when i advised him about it when he was doing some other VW with the same clip and it worked? :cool:

Danny