Pierburg 2B5 vacuum circuit

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
philipayton
fill in the right answer: 15

Pierburg 2B5 vacuum circuit

Post by philipayton »

I’ve just got hold of an 83 1.6 with an 2B5 carb. It starts and runs ok but a bit lumpy at low revs and idle a bit high (1000 rpm). Before getting into the carb I thought I would check the vacuum circuit.

It’s very different to that in the Haynes manual. Is there an alternative vacuum circuit for this carb?

Thanks

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Pierburg 2B5 vacuum circuit

Post by mark1gls »

Not 100% sure what carbs came with the Mk2 Scirocco but shouldn’t it be a Pierburg 2e2 carb ?

https://forum.sciroccoregister.co.uk/vi ... hp?t=11151

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Idle speed in range, books says 950 +/- 50

What colour are the spark plugs to check the mixture?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
philipayton

Post by philipayton »

Will check plugs tomorrow - they’re new and only have about 10 miles on them though. So idle probably not much higher than it should be.

I think most 1.6’s did come with 2E2 but the earlier FR engine had the 2B5.

I’m tempted to try rerouting the vacuum circuit per the manual to see how it runs.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

I have the German language VW workshop manual for Scirocco Carbs (1991 edition). This shows only one vacuum hose configuration for the 2B5, so the layout in the Haynes manual should be correct.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
philipayton

Post by philipayton »

Thanks for that. I note the car has had new vacuum hoses so wonder if they have been put on wrongly.

philipayton

Post by philipayton »

Comparing what I have to the manual I have one initial question. The air intake has two vacuum inlet/outlets. One goes to the air intake duct (temp regulator) but where should the other one go (mine currently routed to the vacuum reservoir which is wrong). Can’t find this in the manual in diagrams or photos. Thanks

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

I'll check that out later today

philipayton

Post by philipayton »

Thank you

philipayton

Post by philipayton »

I’ve routed the vacuum circuit according to the manual - subject to that outlet/inlet on the air intake (as above) just blocked off for now.

It ran just the same! Which is a surprise given how much was wrongly connected. Only on start up was it a little less smooth. Still hesitating when hot.

Probably need to start by cleaning the carb / jets and finding where the missing vacuum pipe goes.

philipayton

Post by philipayton »

Plugs look the right colour.
One of the jets seemed a bit dirty but could have been a bit of fuel.

philipayton

Post by philipayton »

Just run it again and no improvement. I have noticed there is oil at the bottom of the carb where it meets the inlet manifold. Assume that’s not right?

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

philipayton wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:12 am The air intake has two vacuum inlet/outlets. One goes to the air intake duct (temp regulator) but where should the other one go (mine currently routed to the vacuum reservoir which is wrong). Can’t find this in the manual in diagrams or photos. Thanks
The schematic diagram in the VW workshop manual for Scirocco carb and ignition systems shows a vacuum hose emerging from the rear of the 2B carb (the only vacuum port on this side of the carb) for connection to the air filter. Unfortunately there are no pictures of the rear of the carb to show where this port is located. The colour coding ring for this hose is "natural", which I take it would mean translucent pale beige.
philipayton wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:06 pm I’ve routed the vacuum circuit according to the manual - subject to that outlet/inlet on the air intake (as above) just blocked off for now.
I'm thinking with the air intake vacuum hose blocked off this means there is no vacuum to open the air intake flap so the carb is taking in pre-heated air only, regardless of the temperature. In hot weather like now the temperature regulator on the air box should allow vacuum from the carb to pass through to the flap switching the air intake over to cold air only.

philipayton

Post by philipayton »

Thank you.
Do you know which of the two hose ports each line goes to? I.e. does the one operating the air intake flap go to the front port on the air inlet box) and the hose from the rear of the carb to the rear port?

philipayton

Post by philipayton »

Also, according to the Haynes manual the vacuum port on the rear of the carb goes to the econometer. Unless there’s a second port?