E10 fuel in an emergency?

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
rosie
fill in the right answer: 10

E10 fuel in an emergency?

Post by rosie »

My tank’s empty, so no fuel to drive around looking for fuel. Need to get the car to the mechanics a couple of times this week for work on the suspension prior to my MOT retest, plus a few urgent trips.
I’m wondering if I can get away with putting in a bit of E10 unleaded as an emergency measure until the fuel shortage situation settles down? I haven’t been able to find E5 anywhere and at this point am too low to keep searching. E10 is still available in a couple of places. It’s my only mode of transport.
The car has a brand new petrol tank and rubber filler neck.
Any thoughts please?

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground
DannyH

Re: E10 fuel in an emergency?

Post by DannyH »

I believe Super Unleadeds are E5??

Danny
GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by GT_II »

According to VW, only their 1st generation FSI engines (early to mid 2000s) are not compatible with E10 fuel. Do I believe they have done the research on 1980s engines and would I trust it in mine? No, I only fill with Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99, as this is guaranteed ethanol-free in most areas (except Cornwall, Devon, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Do you have a motorway or trunk road service station within easy reach? Fuel companies are reportedly prioritising deliveries there, so it may be worth exploring that option first.

There are 3 potential issues with E10 in older engines: (1) fuel separation due to water absorption in storage leading to corrosion - unlikely to be an issue for a daily driver; (2) corrosion of aluminium components in the fuel system - apparently mainly an issue in high pressure high temperature applications such as those early FSIs, so hopefully not too critical for short term use in Mk2 carb engines, but possibly more of an issue in injection engines; (3) damage to plastics such as hoses and seals - probably not a major issue on late Mk2 Sciroccos, as most manufacturers reportedly switched to ethanol-resistant alternatives during the late 1980s, though the same can't necessarily be said for any after-market components fitted.

So is there a risk to putting a bit of E10 in your carb engine as an emergency measure? Well I guess in theory yes, but hopefully very small.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
rosie

Post by rosie »

Thanks guys. I haven’t been able to find any super unleaded anywhere so that isn’t an option in the immediate future.
I thought if I put in a bit of E10 it would allow me to drive round looking for some E5. I’m on fumes at this point so definitely can’t get to a motorway station.
Can’t believe this is happening in the run up to the MoT retest.
Maybe I’ll take a chance and stick a little bit in.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I guess you will be fine to stick some in as it’s a daily drive and when you can go back to super unleaded.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
rosie

Post by rosie »

Thanks
Finally got half a tank of super unleaded in there today so hopefully no damage done.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I’m sure you’ll be alright.
Tesco near me only have super unleaded and no normal unleaded or diesel available so that was ideal for me… :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

dont know if its any good but theres additives for preventing ethanol damage you can add with every fill
time will tell whether ethanol will damage our cars and if additives work
but for the one off fill and use will probably be ok :focus:

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!