Fuel Pipe Removal

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
h11poc
fill in the right answer: 15

Fuel Pipe Removal

Post by h11poc »

Hi all.. removing the fuel pipes seemed an easy job.. everything all undone and fuel pips loose.. except how do I get them out?? There is some sort of bar connected to the wheels stopping me from pulling the pipes out from underneath the car... I am completely stumped as I have to get the new ones in the same way too... All help greatly appreciated.

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Fuel Pipe Removal

Post by essextom »

that will be the anti roll bar, yes you'll need to remove it. be careful with the wishbone brackets are they are prone to shearing when removing the nut, use plenty of wd40

h11poc

Post by h11poc »

Thank you essextom. I have an idea but I will hopefully hear from you better knowledge guys on this as to whether I'm taking a risk..... Rather than removing ARB and wishbone brackets at a risk of damaging would I not cut the new fuel pipes and use a high quality braided line between the bulkhead and say, a few inches from the anti roll bar which would then save all that work. I'm just thinking of a way to save the hassle.. obviously I would cut them and make sure the braided line fits the right length between the part i cut out.

RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

Hi,

I did have my fuel lines replaced at the same time as the tank, I'm guessing you're talking about the rear axle beam that joins the rear wheels. Probably easier if you take a look at this vlog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvyjW5uM1BM

Not this Rocco is an injection GTi, not a carb car, so yours will not have the out of tank pump or accumulator gubbins.

Hope this helps.

Russ

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White
h11poc

Post by h11poc »

Hi Russ, no , i mean the front... When the pipes are undone you can't get them off as there is a bar in the way (anti roll bar) You can cut the old ones by the bottom of the bulkhead and remove all the parts but fitting them is an issue... I think maybe the braided section - about 10 inches of braided fuel hose will solve the issue..

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

I would remove the antiroll bar and not cut the fuel hose.
Clean the threads on the bolt of the anti roll bar and sock with Plusgas, undo and re tighten the nuts to clear out the threads.

Mine came off no problem at all and was straight forward but if you do shear the bolts you can buy replacement wishbone/anti roll bar fixings.

You just need to undo the 1 nut at the back and leave the wishbone connected to the car.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254962697474 ... Swel9eXq6N

Front ant roll bar fixings.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163789115008 ... XQslhRkQtx

I've seen the new as well.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
h11poc

Post by h11poc »

Thank mark1 - The fuel pipes arrived and were like a spring as they need to be straightened.. That makes it easier as I can simple unravel the first foot or so which avoids having to undo the bar.. I imagined they would arrive unravelled and already in position etc but thankfully the pipes are sort of rolled. Will fit them tomorrow.