PIERBURG Rebuild - pre build advice

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
RussGLAuto
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: PIERBURG Rebuild - pre build advice

Post by RussGLAuto »

Gents,

I understand my last post (!) may have upset some of those that have put their faith in advice from a third party recommending replacing the Pierburg for a webber.

I can only say, please don't be disheartened. Those lost carbs are out their. Keep searching, and if all else fails, I'd love to see a report on the Chinese copy of the Pierburg. After all, it's what they are good at right?!

Together we can restore the originality and keep our classics firing on all four!!

Best

Russ & GLAdys

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White
h11poc

Post by h11poc »

Well, I read that and there is no questioning any of what you said. My initial issue was the car suffered from "running on" which was a faulty 3PU and when i saw the price of a new one being four hundred pounds I got a great deal on a weber - I paid almost one hundred and fifty delivered with a spare for parts thrown in. You see, all i wanted to do at this point was test the car, drive it , get it through an MOT etc. However after two hundred faultless miles the car stalled the other day totally out of the blue. Luckily I knew the procedure and disconnected the fuel pipe from the carb and turned the car over - no fuel... I had just fitted a new fuel pump so i took the fuel pump going into that but the fuel hose was dry....SO I now know the issue is pre pump and removing the fuel hose to the filter i tried to blow back towards the tank... I couldn't get air down. so I blew harder and I suddenly felt air .. Everything since has worked but this means I have the an issue with either the filler neck , tank or fuel lines... Ive shone a torch down the filler neck and all good , seems to have been replaced so I am suspecting the fuel sender in the tank or the lines... The car runs fine but it may only be a matter of time before the next stall.

In the meantime I now have TWO working Pierburgs, one of which I have rebuilt and painstakingly set up as per the Pierburg manual.. This is is definitely going back on the car. As now with a working 3PU it will not "run on".

I've read posts from people who have proved the Pierburg over the weber including this last post above mine . I'm not someone who thinks I know better. The weber did do one thing for me.. it got the car through an MOT and it starts and drives each day , albeit getting a bit rougher on startup now which may be the breaded tank/ fuel line rust making it's way ....

Suggestions on a decent set of fuel lines and also anything else I should check apart from fuel filler neck...

Again , thank you all for all this gold dust of information which will help way more people than just me in the years to come..

RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

You are absolutely correct, the Webber got me through the first MOT also. It works. In a fashion.

Check the tank via the fuel sender fitting under the back seat.
You'll need to disconnect the fuel lines to check them.
I replaced all the rubber fuel hoses from the filler neck to tank and tank to carb.

All the parts you'll need you can find here:

https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/fueling-951-c.asp

A great set of short DIY guides from this gent to assist...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvyjW5uM1BM

h11poc

Post by h11poc »

UPDATE - So today i decided to fit the Pierburg that i recently got and see what happens.. Huge Success !! Wax stat works, 3pu working, perfect. After all the issues I had I could not believe it... I took it for a quick spin and there is now no flat spot at all , the acceleration is linear rather than a massive oomph and doesn't miss a stroke. The weber was great and does feel faster on acceleration but it has that flat spot and fuel starvation at high speeds or uphill... Nevertheless, I cannot believe how good that Pierburg is.. exactly what a lot of you told me it would be like on this thread....

I now will have an as new weber conversion for sale correctly jetted for the 1.8 with all new jets.. .. I will also probably sell the other Pierburg with a working 3pu now and also a brand new Wax Stat as well as a brand new rebuild kit already fitted to it although I probably need to put that in the for sale section.

Anyway .. off to change the entire rear brake system :-(

RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

Nice one! You don't know how pleased I am for your success. What is even more impressive is that (unlike me) you have the tenacity to DIY. Great respect.
That's what I love about this forum, the sharing of knowledge to help others.

You have just made that spare Pierburg of yours very desirable... :mafia:

h11poc

Post by h11poc »

Thank you Russ.
yes , the spare Pierburg would be gold dust for someone as is had about 200 pounds spent on it lol.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Great to here it's running well and finger crossed the car continues to.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323