Air filter unit removal

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Lukeh17
fill in the right answer: 15

Air filter unit removal

Post by Lukeh17 »

Hi,

It seems that everything that should be simple on my car isnt. Fortunately I've been lucky and haven't had many problems so far. However, I'm trying to get the air filter unit off to clean the carb flaps to see if that's the problem with my intermittent sticky throttle. I've disconnected the breather pipe, unclipped it all and undone the retaining nut at the top, but it seems stuck and won't budge. When I look in, I can see that the top of carb sticks out above the bottom of the unit, so it's on there tight.

Is it just a case of shaking it and pulling it off or is there another way? I've got a Weber twin carb (32/34) on there.

Thanks

Eagle1

Re: Air filter unit removal

Post by Eagle1 »

I've just read your post again. I'll leave the tail end bit on here. I would be tempted to twist from side to side first to see if it will come off. One thing I can think off why it might be stuck. Do you have the extended bolts on the rocker cover. These may be missing and therefore the air filter housing is pulled down. Also make sure the tube thingy is disconnected from the air filter housing. Post up a picture if you can.
If you've got a Weber fitted there should be an Allen key bolt on the top of the air filter, you'll see that the rubber bung has been left out or is missing. The bracket that holds this on should be held on by an 8mm nut and then an 8mm nyloc nut.

Lukeh17

Re: Air filter unit removal

Post by Lukeh17 »

Hi,

I've managed to get it off. It did indeed wiggle off. I'm always extra careful when it comes to old plastic things like that when I've never had to remove them. I give it a yank and if it doesn't come off first time, I'm worried it'll break. I cleaned inside the carb and put it all back together now, so just need to see if that has done the trick.