Fuel Tank Dampening Strips

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
hiltow

Fuel Tank Dampening Strips

Post by hiltow »

On the top surface of the petrol tank (i.e. the side that faces the underside), VW attached strips of what looks to be sound deadening material to cushion between the tank and the body.

Does anyone know where to get hold of the exact same material, what it's called and the width of the strips themselves?

GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Fuel Tank Dampening Strips

Post by GT_II »

I think this might be the part number you're looking for - 321201300B . It should be available from VW, at least from van dealers, as they apparently still use this part as padding for the jack on the VW Transporter T5, but it doesn't look cheap. It seems to have grown from its original length of 450mm on the Mk1 and Mk2 Scirocco to 620mm on the T5, but the width and thickness are unchanged at 35 x 1.5mm.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

i used closed cell foam with double sided tape on one side.
its cheap and easy to apply and does the same job if not the same stuff.
all its there for it to prevent rattle and rubbing between the floor and the tank for obvious reasons

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Blueshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Blueshark »

I have this material in stock.
It is on a roll so can be cut to any desired length.
Shipping would be more than the stuff itself though.

Joost

hiltow

Post by hiltow »

Cheers to all of you for that info - appreciated.

I'd like to use the genuine VW material or the OEM equivalent.

GT_II - when I did a quick search for 321201300B online, it seems to be listed as rubber strapping for the tank supports. I take it that it's also used for the sound deadening on the top side of the tank? Also, do you know whether 321201300B comes with an adhesive side?

Joost - many thanks. I'll send you a PM. I am guessing I would need 2 metres to be sure I would have enough.

chopperoli

Post by chopperoli »

There is no magic to the stuff VW used or would sell you, any decent quality self-adhesive closed-cell foam tape of the right width and thickness will be ideal. I did the same myself recently, will have to dig out pics. If I remember the stuff on top was wider or thicker in places and I replicated that, it wasn't expensive either

GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by GT_II »

hiltow wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:23 pm I take it that it's also used for the sound deadening on the top side of the tank? Also, do you know whether 321201300B comes with an adhesive side?
I have not removed a tank myself, so can't confirm, but would assume it is the same as the strap lining, as there is no other dampening part listed in the diagram. I suspect it is self-adhesive and also that it is higher density than closed cell foam, as it is only 1.5mm thick. Perhaps Joost can advise.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k