Exhaust knocking on body when rough MK2

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
NebToast
fill in the right answer: 15

Exhaust knocking on body when rough MK2

Post by NebToast »

I put a new rear silencer on the GTII after I got it to replace the silly cherry bomb, now she's on the road there is a rattling noise coming from the rear when the engine is struggling, like when you change up to early or when it is idling rough in the cold. Has anyone else had this problem, it seems to be the rear silencer hitting something like the suspension bottom mount or maybe the fuel tank. I put rubbers on the hanging points and they were a real pain to stretch on so maybe they're holding the exhaust too high, the VW rubbers don't seem to stretch far enough.

Eagle1

Re: Exhaust knocking on body when rough MK2

Post by Eagle1 »

You might have to slacken the clamps off and slightly move the exhaust.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

This is why I hate working on exhaust, lying on your back and shaking the thing about.....

As Eagle1 says, you might need to loosen the clamps and twist the exhaust slightly away from what it's knocking against.
Where the exhaust goes over the rear beam can cause knocking or where the little head shield is by the handbrake cables is where mine was knocking last time...
Last edited by mark1gls on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
NebToast

Post by NebToast »

AH good idea, I'll get it up on some ramps and give it all a wiggle around to see if that fixes things.

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Did you buy new clamps? Is one of them catching on something?
I have a Jetex exhaust with a normal clamp that has been just touching the fuel tank. So I bought a clamp that fits nice and snug with no chance of catching neighbouring parts.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.