weber carbs

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
henryswaffer
fill in the right answer: 15

weber carbs

Post by henryswaffer »

hi new to forum and just brought a scirocco gt2. (EX engine code)
thinking of putting different carburettor on something like weber carb, has any one done this, if so what type would you recommend and what if any modifications need to be made or parts changed. Don't want to spend more than £300 on carb.

Also are there any other mods worth doing for track days.

Thanks
Henry

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: weber carbs

Post by mark1gls »

Welcome henryswaffer, no performance benefits in fitting a Weber carb over the Pierburg 2e2 carb, the main benefit in fitting a Weber is they are simple carbs to set up and tune. The Pierburg carb is tricky to work on and finding someone who can set them is getting hard now.

The Weber carb comes as a kit and you can use your existing air box etc, just make sure you have the bracket and some sort of clamp at the front of the air box or you find the rubber gasket underneath the carb breaks/splits.

Why do you want to change the carb which is on the car and is the Pierburg 2e2 fitted to the car?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
unknownmale
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by unknownmale »

I have a weber i'd part with for £100 if you wanted one. You'd need to buy a choke cable though

- David
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

if your using it for track days then yeah i would agree change the pier burg for a weber and unknown males offer is very reasonable!
other mods i would do is change to an electric fuel pump and get yourself a good suspension kit.
make sure theres no rust in the filler neck and fuel tank, rust is a webers worst nightmare as the smallest bit will block a jet.
don't be fooled thinking the fuel filter will save it either as for some reason it still manages to get through so be prepared to fit a new fuel tank and fill neck if corroded.
dreadnought customs do new filler necks for £150 speak to essextom
fuel tanks can be had from various places from between £120-150

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!