Re: Fast/erratic idle and engine run-on 1.8 8v Carb

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
timmaaah
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Fast/erratic idle and engine run-on 1.8 8v Carb

Post by timmaaah »

Hey - the missus's 92 GT2 will sometimes idle at high revs - 1200 sometimes 1500 sometimes 2000rpm. A few blips of the throttle will usually make it settle down. It's had a Weber conversion at some point in it's life.

Also very occasionally the engine will keep running for a few seconds after the ignition is turned off (running on?)

Aside from these two issues, the engine is fine, pulls as it should, is not using any more fuel than normal. It may "smell" a bit more, but that is subjective I guess (by smell, I mean like cars used to smell before catalytic converters!!). What should we be looking at/for?

Cheers :-)

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Re: Fast/erratic idle and engine run-on 1.8 8v Carb

Post by mark1gls »

2 things I would be looking at, timing may be a little off, vacuum leak could cause this?
Fuel mixture may be a little high, check colour of the spark plugs.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

no one suspect is air leak.
get some brake cleaner or wd40 and spray liberally over the carb joints, carb flange, manifold joints and the vac pipe to the brake servo.
weber carbs also suffer from chronic spindle wear and suffer from air leaks which manifest problems at idle but not when on throttle.
when you spray flammable liquids where theres an air leak the engine will change note indicating where the air leak is.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
chopperoli

Post by chopperoli »

there as a fuel shut-off solenoid available for the DMTL, to stop run-on