Intermittent shuddering

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Intermittent shuddering

Post by mark1gls »

I don't think that's right as it does not have the fuel out and in let pipes fitted to it.
If your car has the bigger 55l tank petrol comes out of the top via the fuel tank sender, early cars with the smaller tank petrol comes out of the bottom of the fuel tank so that is why it's different fuel tank sender as it's just for the fuel gauge.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

You also sent me link to the o ring yes I think that's right, might be worth getting 2 as 1 on the pump and 1 plastic spacer block if you don't get any with the fuel pump.

Be very care full with the plastic spacer block as they are also hard to find and don't over do it tightening the new pump onto the engine block.

Picture which I found the info..

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/scir ... 127-24000/

Membership No. 323
Lukeh17
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Lukeh17 »

Looking at this diagram...

Is number 20 the rubber hose you're talking about?

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/scir ... 201-66000/

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Yes that's it. :-D

Membership No. 323
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

mark1gls wrote:Yes that's it. :-D
Perfect... thanks for your help :-D

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

No worries, I just hope it helps with your running problem?

At least if not you have some new parts and keep the old ones as spares or sell them on...

Membership No. 323
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

Yeah, I study and work so I don't have a lot of time at the moment to spend hours out there, but getting spare parts is always useful. Just trying to determine the problem. Gonna check the fuel lines from the sender and take the sender out and drop a magnet in and check for rust in the fuel tank.
If there's rust I will change the filler neck and rubber hose ;). If nothing, I will replace the fuel pump and go from there!

Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

How would you guys recommend trying to remove the sender unit? Thanks

blakey

Post by blakey »

I've used water pump pliers, opened out to engage in the two slots, using downward pressure whilst slowly turning anticlockwise.

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A512 using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

blakey wrote:I've used water pump pliers, opened out to engage in the two slots, using downward pressure whilst slowly turning anticlockwise.

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A512 using Tapatalk
Cheers buddy! It came off after heating it with a hair dryer and then various hits with a mallet with a piece of wood on the plastic.

Looking in the tank I found the following particles (magnet and magnetic screwdriver wouldn't pick them up)

Gonna have to flush the tank

Also when removing the sender, the pickup pipe with the small holes - a few were blocked with this stuff but not sure what is it... I think as I'm going at higher speeds and need more fuel these holes are getting blocked and starving the car of fuel. The lines and fuel filter had no sign of this stuff in them and appeared ok. THe tank itself looks clean. Gonna flush the tank and pump this stuff out and then refill it and drive it and see what happens

essextom

Post by essextom »

looks like rust flakes to me

Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

essextom wrote:looks like rust flakes to me
I'm not sure if it is, I put a magnetic screwdriver in there and it didn't pick them up. The bits on the sender pick up feed are like a silver colour and have a texture of paper!! Gonna pump the fuel out of the tank and have a look

essextom

Post by essextom »

Lukeh17 wrote:
essextom wrote:looks like rust flakes to me
I'm not sure if it is, I put a magnetic screwdriver in there and it didn't pick them up. The bits on the sender pick up feed are like a silver colour and have a texture of paper!! Gonna pump the fuel out of the tank and have a look
red rust isnt magnetic to my knowledge, silver could be a zinc coating of something possibly.

james butler

Post by james butler »

i cut the end of the pick up pipe off so all the rubbish would get sucked up and make their way into the fuel filter where it can be removed and binned.
i was changing my fuel filter every 6 months when i found out my filler neck had rotted out, i couldn't get all the rust flakes out of the tank so
cutting the end of the pickup pipe allowed it all to get sucked up and get trapped in the filter, the amount in there was shocking after a short time.
this method removed most of the rubbish in there.
some did make its way into the carb eventually but i have a Weber so its a 15min fix to clean out the jets

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

james butler wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:04 am i cut the end of the pick up pipe off so all the rubbish would get sucked up and make their way into the fuel filter where it can be removed and binned.
i was changing my fuel filter every 6 months when i found out my filler neck had rotted out, i couldn't get all the rust flakes out of the tank so
cutting the end of the pickup pipe allowed it all to get sucked up and get trapped in the filter, the amount in there was shocking after a short time.
this method removed most of the rubbish in there.
some did make its way into the carb eventually but i have a Weber so its a 15min fix to clean out the jets
Cheers for the tip James. I pulled the pick-up pipe off and have managed to pump most of the stuff out of the fuel tank. The tank itself looks in good condition and most of the stuff that came out, on closer inspection really didn't look like rust at all. Maybe dodgy fuel?

I put the sender back in and went for a drive and drove up and down a hill nearby to me where it had shuddered twice previously and it didn't shudder. Going to take it on a longer drive once this 'wintery' weather has gone and see what happens.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions and guidance so far :)