Mk 2 MFA

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Jerry Atric
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk 2 MFA

Post by Jerry Atric »

Looking for a few ideas why the MFA on my Mk 2 Scirocco is indicating a non changing display of 173'C on the oil "page", and an air temperature of 11'C , irrespective of whats going on in the engine and in the outside air .

I have tried changing the oil temperature sender , but the air temp sensor is a bit difficult to reach being buried behind the front bumper .

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Ttechnics

Re: Mk 2 MFA

Post by Ttechnics »

Jerry Atric wrote:Looking for a few ideas why the MFA on my Mk 2 Scirocco is indicating a non changing display of 173'C on the oil "page", and an air temperature of 11'C , irrespective of whats going on in the engine and in the outside air .

I have tried changing the oil temperature sender , but the air temp sensor is a bit difficult to reach being buried behind the front bumper .

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.
Its probably broken

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Thanks for the helpful reply.....but in fact the clock function , trip distance functions etc all work ok. So really don't understand why the readings on those two functions are as they are....if everything was blank I might agree with you.....

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

I don't know the specifics of the MFA circuitry, but fixed readings would suggest most likely a faulty sensor or sensor wiring fault eg broken wire or short circuit. I'm guessing you'll need to check resistances/continuity with the aid of a multi meter and wiring diagram.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Thanks for that, the sensor for oil temp has been changed , no difference to the reading and as I said above, have not accessed the air temp sensor yet. However, I suspect your idea of a fault in the wiring or the printed circuit will most likely be the answer. Thanks for the reply.

Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

To conclude this thread....bit the bullet and bought a new/secondhand instrument cluster. Fitted a few days back and it seems to all work but due to "isolating restrictions" have not been able to take the car out for a run. MFA now reading correct OAT ( outside air temp ) and a blank for the oil temp ( didn't run the engine long enough to get a reading ). Will keep the old cluster as proof of the cars mileage. Roll on the ending of lock-down.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

You could take the original speedo out and stick it in your replacement instruments then the mileage will be correct....

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Thanks Mark, yes I possibly could but as I have also had to change the engine ( it arrived with a seized engine ) the mileage is not so relevant and if I keep the original instrument cluster its still proof of the cars original mileage ( along with MOT history ) and then when it gets it s next MOT ( whenever that might be in light of present lock down situation ) its not going to be much different mileage wise to what is indicated now . In other words, I am unable to drive the car for the foreseeable future so mileage will not change on the replaced speedometer .

arc

Post by arc »

Hi , Did you find where the OAT sensor was connected in the engine bay as mine is loose behind the bumper !

Village Idiots
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Village Idiots »

It is behind the bumper. If you read the post higher up you'll see he states that.
To check it is reading correctly see if it's the same as a thermometer reading!