Instrument Cluster Removal Mk2

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.

Moderator: Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
WreckTangle
fill in the right answer: 15

Instrument Cluster Removal Mk2

Post by WreckTangle » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:01 pm

I’m planning in a few weeks’ time to replace the bleeding LCD clock display in my Mk2 GTII. I’ve got the Haynes manual and have read this article but I was after any practical tips from anyone who has removed their cluster recently.

https://forum.sciroccoregister.co.uk/vi ... 4&p=156703

In particular, with the later style of steering wheel is it possible/practical to remove the cluster through it or is it better to remove the wheel? If removing it, is a puller needed or does it come off easily?

How straightforward is it to disconnect the cables from the back of the cluster with the shelf removed?

Any other useful tips?

Thanks in advance.

GT_II

Re: Instrument Cluster Removal Mk2

Post by GT_II » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:11 am

I've only removed my instrument cluster once, to renew the main beam warning lamp. My recollection is this was pretty straightforward. I can't remember for sure whether I removed the steering wheel or under-dash shelf and cover. I think not - just eased the cluster forward, disconnected everything from the back and fed it through the gap. If you try without, you can always remove the shelf and cover and/or steering wheel afterwards if you find you need better access.

The steering wheel is very easy to remove - carefully ease out the horn button (taking care not to over-stretch the wiring), undo the nut with a socket and lift the steering wheel off its splines - no need for a puller.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
2011 VW Caddy Van C20 Startline 1.6 TDI 102PS 65k
2015 Skoda Yeti SE Outdoor 1.2 TSI DSG 105PS 35k
2013 Fiat 500 Pop 1.2 69PS 40k
2009 VW Fox 1.2 54PS 60k
2009 Smart Fortwo Passion 1.0 mhd 71PS 25k

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by essextom » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:42 am

its easiest to remove the wheel, only takes a few mins to do. youll also need to remove the parcel shelf from below, again only a few screws, only takes a few miins to do.

http://www.dreadnoughtcustoms.com
https://www.instagram.com/dreadnought_customs
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtoApB ... hK3tDfTW_Q
82 mk2 gti - 88 mk2 scala 20vt - 84 Mk2 GL auto - 93 GT2 2.0 8v crossflow - 91 scala - 84 Tropic - 89 scala - 88 GT

p in phcas

Post by p in phcas » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:18 am

I have just gone through the pain of replacing the bleeding LCD. Removing the cluster is the easy part. It can be done without removing the steering wheel but it is a faff. For the last couple of times I have had the cluster out, removing the wheel made things soooo much easier.

Once the wheel is off, remove the 2 screws around the binnacle trim. Lift the cluster a little and get access to the 2 wring connectors (black and white ones) You might find it easier to remove the under-dash tray and covers to get your hands up through there. The speedo cable is easy, just find the side clips, squeeze and pull backwards. The one I found most hassle was the vacuum pipe for the MFA feed. It can be a bugger to pull off and there's very little room for any leverage and the pipe just stretches.

Once everything is disconnected, a little wiggling around and the clocks come out. That's where the real fun begins.

Depending on your clock type it might be easy or a really scary process. Mine is a 1990 Scala with rev, temp, fuel, MFA etc. If you have the LCD, I am assuming it is the same. To get to the LCD you basically have to strip the entire cluster to pieces as there is a PCB board that will stop you getting one of the LCD unit screws out. After (re)moving the rear circuit foil and the cluster screws, separate the front and back of the units to you have access to the clock faces. To get to the PCB board where the LCD lives, you will have to remove the Rev counter and fuel gauges. To remove the rev counter there are two screws on the front disk. Scratch them or the face of the rev counter and you will forever be staring at your mistake.

It is only two screws holding the LCD unit in place, access to said screws are the problem. Once removed, there's no soldering (phew) but pop the old out and put in the new.

Little tip. If you are using a brand new LCD screen, check there isn't a protective film covering it. If you miss it (like I did) you have have to take the whole thing apart again after a few months as it starts to wrinkle and separate from the glass of the LCD. Another job on the list.

I have some pictures, not sure if they cover everything.

Putting it all back together is easy, just make sure all the electrical bits work before putting trim, wheel and things back. Sometimes messing with the cluster can affect the transistor on the foil that keeps the fuel gauge etc happy. I had to take mine out again, clean the contacts and put back together.

I think, when I did my LCD (I had some speedo issues as well - another story) I had the clocks in and out about 5 times so this is written from memory.

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha

whiteshark

Post by whiteshark » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:44 pm

Remove your steering wheel, no pullers necessary. Remove the shelf below as reconnecting the two main wires of the cluster will be a lot easier. When buying a replacement LED, make sure you get the right one as some sellers only sell one that will either work / do not work with the MFA. When I did this the first time, i screwed the LCD back on too tightly. Some days it worked and then on other days it was reading like an upside down calculator!! While your at it and you have the instrument cluster out, think about getting a few LED's and replace your dash bulbs. Much brighter and will probably last a lifetime. I went for a green tint set to match the light in the ashtray and it looks cool as if I say so myself. They are very good on a long drive especially at night on a country road. No more dim speedo.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:22 pm

If you do remove the steering wheel make sure the wheels are straight and loosen the nut till it’s near the end but don’t remove the nut then you may need to bang the steering wheel from behind to get it off.

If you remove the nut completely then bang the steering wheel from behind it flys off and hit you in face…. I know, I found out the hard way and a few others on here have done the same thing… :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323

whiteshark

Post by whiteshark » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:24 pm

As above, been there and got the t shirt!

WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:49 pm

Thank you for all these really useful tips. I am aiming to do the job next month when I tax the car and get it out of winter storage. I’ll update with how it goes. I’ve bought the LCD screen from Brickwerks. Mine is just the clock, not an MFA.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:08 pm

Shout if you need any help and let us know how you get on.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323