Electric door mirrors

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Electric door mirrors

Post by whiteshark »

Anyone got a wiring guide or could point me in the right direction in the Haynes manual.
I have a set of electric door mirrors that I want to fit. A wiring diagram or if any one has any hints tips, let me know.
I have a loom from the States, just need to know where to loop it into the car wire wise.

GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Electric door mirrors

Post by GT_II »

Figure 11.46 in the 1991 red edition of the Haynes manual, page 303, with key on Page 302. It looks quite complex, with several pass-throughs
from footwell to door and between left and right footwells - not a job I would relish without the complete wiring harness - presumably easily reversible for RHD.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
PeteGLi
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Electric door mirrors

Post by PeteGLi »

Have you managed to connect the mirror loom into the car yet?
If not, you should have three loose wires coming out of a six block connector - one is black/yellow, one is brown and one is white/green.
The other wires coming out of the connector should run through plastic sleeving to connector blocks for the two mirrors and the switch.
The black/yellow wire connects via a 6.3mm female spade to terminal G3 on the back of the fusebox. The 'G' terminals are all single 6.3mm male pins and, looking at the back of the fusebox are on the left hand side. My GTX already had a black/yellow wire on terminal G3 which ran to the glovebox light. I just cut off the existing female spade and crimped a new one onto both wires.
The brown wire connects via a 6.3mm female spade to the earthing point (the circular set of male terminals) on the fusebox mounting bracket.
The white/green wire connects into the rear window demisting circuit, the factory connection being through pin E15 - the black connector block on the back of the fusebox. Pin E15 should have a thick white wire running to a single connector block, from which a thick black wire runs to the heated rear window. Replacing either one of those terminals with a new terminal holding the original black or white wire and the new white/green wire is the neatest option. Make sure that both male and female terminals are fully enclosed to avoid the possibility of short circuits. Just please don't use a scotchlok!!!!. If you do not want to heat the mirrors, you can ignore the white/green wire.