Dash warning lights

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Village Idiots
fill in the right answer: 10

Dash warning lights

Post by Village Idiots »

The fuel level and water temperature warning lights on my Mk1 work intermittently. Sometimes when they are off the turn indicator warning will flash through the ignition light and once it caused the rev counter to 'bounce'.
Seems to me like an earthing fault.
What earthing connections should I check and where exactly are they connected?

mark1gls

Re: Dash warning lights

Post by mark1gls »

The earth to check is the one from the coil bracket to the back of the head. Not 100 % sure if it’s the same for a Mk1 Scirocco but on my Mk1 Golf there is another thin brown wire in the main engine loom which it’s to the same bracket on the back of the head and when mine fell off the instruments did alsorts of funny things and the rev counter went haywire.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Dash warning lights

Post by mark1gls »

This brown wire and you can see the thicker cable from the coil bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323