Another brake question - about pads this time

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Akinesis

Another brake question - about pads this time

Post by Akinesis »

I'll be doing a big brake and rear disc conversion when I drop an ABF into my 'Rocco at the end of this year, but for now I want to spruce up the system only a tad, as the standard system performed surprisingly well on the last track session. I've read in the FAQ that the later Mk2's had the larger master-cylinder fitted, so I'm happy to leave this in. The discs I'm going to swap for some middle-of-the-range drilled and grooved ones, and add some braided hoses. My question lies with the pads. I'm after better ones from the standard, but not really wanting to spend £70+ pounds like EBC suggest. Can anyone recommend some decent fast-road pads that have proven to be good but not costing an arm and a leg? :scratch: I'm not being tight here, cos I will spare no expense on the full conversion, I just don't wanna spalsh-the-cash on a tempory system :blush: It's only gotta last 6-ish track days :whistle:

Also, are the MK2 pads the same across the board (e.i. will the GT2 1.8 carb pads be the same as the GTX 16v?). Back diamond do some fast-track for £44 :cool: EBC do the Greenstuff pads for the same price, but are these two a decent improvement from standard pads?

Cheers in advance

GTII Track Project... now a different animal for 2009
filmidget
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Another brake question - about pads this time

Post by filmidget »

Personally I like Pagid pads (EDIT: though that's 'fast road' use, not track)

I used to favour Mintex 'til they went asbestos-free.

'82 GTI 'CagedRoc' - MG Midget - Volvo 850 T5 - Citroen C2 GT - Lilac Trailer Custodian
Current owned:roadworthy factor = 75% (personal record)
Akinesis

Re: Another brake question - about pads this time

Post by Akinesis »

At a starting price of around £120 for a set it's a little pricey for the level of upgrade I'm looking for :blush:

GTII Track Project... now a different animal for 2009