Poly-urethane Kit - Which bit not to use..

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MrP

Poly-urethane Kit - Which bit not to use..

Post by MrP »

I'm looking at getting a poly-urethane full bush kit for my mk2 rocco.

Being newish to the A1 chassis i'm not sure which parts in the kit to use or not to use. (I only ask as i''m good with polo's and using the rear axel poly bush's make the rear end very twitchy on a Polo)

Also, will using all the poloy engine mounts be unnecessary and make the car vibrate?

Thanks

LEEP
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Poly-urethane Kit - Which bit not to use..

Post by LEEP »

i just bought the front wishbones and the rear bushes and thats it fella top job i havent got a rear anti roll bar on the 1.6gt so i didnt need that bushes :groove:

SCIROCCO GT
Member 934
MrP

Post by MrP »

LEEP wrote:i just bought the front wishbones and the rear bushes and thats it fella top job i havent got a rear anti roll bar on the 1.6gt so i didnt need that bushes :groove:
Yeah,

I can get the full kit from GSF pretty cheap, so thats all wishbone/axel bushes, roll bar bushes and engine mounts. I read somewhere that using all the mounts make the car vibrate etc..

Just want peoples opinions.

Whats your ride like now you've fitted them?

Slugga

Post by Slugga »

I'm using the full GSF bush kit but not the rear engine mount bush that comes with it or the rear axle inserts.

I will use powerflex for these bushes instead.

Can't say what its like as its not done yet but have been reliably informed by people in the know that this is the way forwards if you want improvements without your teeth falling out :lol:

monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by monzajake »

MrP wrote:
will using all the polly engine mounts be unnecessary and make the car vibrate?

Thanks
Yeap trust me a DEFO yes........
But fun in finding where all the rattle come from :hugegrin:

LEEP

Post by LEEP »

mine rides ok mate there is abit more noise but i just bought a new rubber front engine mount because when i fitted the poly one the engine was vibrateing thought the car and it was doing my bloody head in ;)

SCIROCCO GT
Member 934
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

I've used poly mounts for my suspenion front and rear, no problems to speak of other than they have just started to squeak, but they have been on the car for about 3 years. As for engine, I tried a poly reinforced cam belt end mount and it make the car very noisy with a lot more vibration. This was a standard rubber mount with a poly insert that filled in the gaps as it were. Just changing that one mount was enough almost unusable for long journeys, wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver as others have said.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

personally i'd just renew the mounts for proper VW items for a daily driver, but take the opportunity to upgrade the rear gearbox mount for the Mk1 Golf diesel item which is a bit heavier duty.

On my mk1 2.1 8v toy I just upgraded the front snubber for a heavy duty rubber (from C&R) and the Mk1 Golf diesel rear mount with standard pulley and gbox side mount and its great, not a great deal of movement or vibration. The front and rear mounts take most of the punishment. The car is running poly wishbone, rear beam and anti roll bar mounts, and they are great, tighten the car up a treat.

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire